Bob Rock defending himself? HAHA!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Rock defending himself? HAHA!!!

It actually makes one wonder if Mr. Rock (man, he's gotta change his name after this farce) and Lars were kind of 'pushing' for this new sound against James' will?

No matter - what's done is done and there is nothing that can make one forget about this travesty. But Bob Rock is about as overrated as Metallica are anymore so....

Re: Bob Rock defending himself? HAHA!!!

eh, again....they coulda fired bob at any time. bob rock has no conspiracy to make them lose fans; the records sell, and that's all it's really about.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

C'mon Sully, you can do better than that. Bottom line is "the effort sucks"
      1990 Jackson Professional
      1992 Dean ML
      2004 Epiphone Flying V
      2005 Epiphone Dot
      2009 Fender Stratocaster
      2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
      2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
      2006 Fender P Bass
      2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
      1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
      1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
      Custom Pedalboard
      ADA MP1
      ADA FX2
      Tascam 2488

Comment

Like I said, you can't use "Artistic impression" to cover your ass all the time. You get as big as Metallica and you sell records no matter what. It's like the Beetles; they got to a point where they could do no wrong in the eyes of the majority. Just look at the guitar tone on "Revolution"! Ouch!
        As far as firing Bob...Bob has become the 5th member of Metallica, the one who takes care of the production part. I'm sure they have handed almost all production control to him at this point and he really sucked at it this time. IMO, 10 years from now this will NOT be a record looked back on for its bold production statement, but its failure. We will have to see...And most of us will probably still be here to discuss. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I know it would seem impossible for us to imagine a band handing that kind of control over but, it happens all the time. I'm sure James has welcomed it at this point in his life. Besides, look at the infamous Justice album...It took a production failure for them to look for someone else. They still released the album and realized its lack of bass after.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I'll tell you one thing - "Justice" may have lacked bass, as in the instrument bass, but not overall bass. That CD has one of the most crushing sounds ever, and it TOTALLY and COMPLETELY $hits all over this heinous fecal matter called St. Anger. Agree?

Comment

Nobody should be defending Bob. He thinks this piece of crap sounds good. Lars thinks it's going to knock our balls off. This effort, sucks in do part to James not being around, and I'm sure in no small part to label pressure. Pressure or not, this piece of **** should never be released. What a waste of money all around. Think about how many Jackson each of us could buy with the cash it took to make this worthless piece of **** music!By now, your probably saying to yourself, "tell me how you really feel". [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
            1992 Dean ML
            2004 Epiphone Flying V
            2005 Epiphone Dot
            2009 Fender Stratocaster
            2006 Fender P Bass
            Custom Pedalboard
            ADA MP1
            ADA FX2
            Tascam 2488

Comment

eh, i guess i don't care so much b/c i've never been a metallica fan. i tried in high school when master of puppets came out, but it just never took. i did like for whom the bell tolls, and fade to black, tho.

i'd say that from their past few releases, they're trying to do something different...some would call it alienating their fan base [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] always a bad move. since i haven't heard any of it, i can't voice an opinion on the new effort. i do however, like bob's production (the cult's sonic temple, and a few motley records). probably right about him bein the 5th member, and i totally agree with the "gonna sell records no matter what" point.

i do empathize with you guys though, i know that there were a lot of expectations with this record, and it seemed like many liked what they were hearing, up until the record came out, and that always sucks.

sully

[ June 18, 2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Brian:
                I'll tell you one thing - "Justice" may have lacked bass, as in the instrument bass, but not overall bass. That CD has one of the most crushing sounds ever, and it TOTALLY and COMPLETELY $hits all over this heinous fecal matter called St. Anger. Agree?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree completely, I loved the cold crushing production of Justice and still do. I think it was after when people started to notice you can't really hear a distinct bass guitar that people started commenting. Plus you had guys like Flea bopping on the bass and really bringing it to the forefront at that time.

[edit] I should say; the point I was making with the comparison of St. Anger and AJFA is that Metallica has released a album considered to have bad production before then got rid of the person after the fact. I could see them looking back and going..."Maybe we need to look at another producer"? [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ June 18, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Dave ]
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Bob Rock's objectivity as a producer was
                  probably tainted by the fact that he's a
                  bass player on this record. He wants to like it, and is trying to spin the fact that they had to cut and paste it together into a selling point, or artistic daring at least.

Anyone ever hear Rockhead, Bob's band of the late 80s? You didn't miss a thing!
                  I paid 99 cents for the CD and it wasn't worth it. The Metallica boys couldn't
                  handle Mutt Lange though; he'll tell you when you suck and make you do 100 takes to get it right. They're just not interested enough to do that anymore.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                    Umm, "really no time to get amazing performances out of James"????

How many years was it between Reload and St. Anger, and just how the hell long does it take to get an 'amazing' performance from James??

And what would an 'amazing' performance of "tic toc tic toc" or "flush it out" be, anyway?

Geez, what a shame that a once-great band has fallen to such a state...
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The reason was that Metallica recorded a whole other album between the Load sessions and the time just before James went into rehab. Not one of the St. Anger songs was recorded in that period of time. After James got out of rehab, the
                    band moved to a new recording location and wrote and recorded the whole St. Anger deal. They still haven't made any mention as to what they are going to do with that material. In an interview last year Lars said they weren't sure if they were even going to offer it outside of a fan club Fan Can deal or maybe "sell them on eBay".

Comment

Man, if Metallica had a producer like Chris Tsangrides (Judas Priest's Painkiller, Exodus' Force of Habit) or Terry Date (Overkill, Pantera, Sound Garden, Prong, etc.), this album would probably be killer!!
                      Also, if Woody had gone straight to the police, this would have never happened!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

screw the big names....Metallica needs Devin Townsend or Nystrom to save their asses from lameness.

I hear potential in the new album, but I"m not impressed by anything about it.

Comment

Bob Rock defending himself? HAHA!!!

Here's a quote from an article/interview with Bob Rock describing his view of the "production" on Marketallica's new dungheap of an album... [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

In describing the album, the article states, “The drums don't crack, they clang, and cymbals cut out abruptly. There are no guitar solos. Once in a while a guitar lick lags behind the beat, and frontman James Hetfield's vocals occasionally veer off key.”

According to MTV, that's exactly the way Metallica and producer Bob Rock wanted it to sound.

"I wanted to do something to shake up radio and the way everything else sounds," said Rock, who helped write the music and lyrics and played basslines on the album. "To me, this album sounds like four guys in a garage getting together and writing rock songs."

The sound on the album was achieved by combining old recording technology with cutting-edge editing software. Rock spent five minutes setting up the drums and recorded the rest of the band with a combination of cheap PA mics and vintage microphones.

"There was really no time to get amazing performances out of James," Rock said. "We liked the raw performances. And we didn't do what everyone does and what I've been guilty of for a long time, which is tuning vocals. We just did it, boom, and that was it."

Comment

I think Bob Rock needs to get his ears cleaned!Mutt Lng or Max Norman should come in and help Metallica get back to there roots. The leaves are withering and the branches are breaking off. One of the branches being Bob Rock! bye bye Bob
                            1992 Dean ML
                            2004 Epiphone Flying V
                            2005 Epiphone Dot
                            2009 Fender Stratocaster
                            2006 Fender P Bass
                            Custom Pedalboard
                            ADA MP1
                            ADA FX2
                            Tascam 2488

Comment

Umm, "really no time to get amazing performances out of James"????

How many years was it between Reload and St. Anger, and just how the hell long does it take to get an 'amazing' performance from James??

And what would an 'amazing' performance of "tic toc tic toc" or "flush it out" be, anyway?

Geez, what a shame that a once-great band has fallen to such a state...

Comment

Working...
                              X