Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone

Here's a question for everyone. What artist has the best tone and why (what makes it so special)?

Re: Tone

It all depends on the style of music. To me Eddies brown sound is the best tone. Along with SRV and Hendrix. Ealry Pete Townsend. Tony Iommi, Yngwie. They ae all unique to the individual and an extension of their personality.
    Gil

Comment

If I had to pick just one... damn, that's tough. Just in terms making me want to pick up a guitar and play, Pete Townsend's tone is unmatched. But from the perspective of tone I want to have the most, it's Matt Pike all the way. Anyone that's heard the completely punishing tone he gets will understand. Iommi has nothing on this dude, and I'm a huge Sabbath fan. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

That's a tough one! Zakk Wylde has great tone and so does Steve Lukeather.
        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I like Nasum's tone.

Comment

This questions very broad... I pick Yngwie [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

All right, let's seperate some styles of music. Who is the favorite in each style: Blues, Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Heavy Metal (Death metal, European power metal, etc.), Jazz, Classical (Neo-classical included), Funk, and any other style that an artist plays that is worth mentioning? And don't forget to mention what it is about their tone that makes it so pleasing to your ears. Why would you like to have that tone yourself?

Comment

Classical is definetly yngwie... but the other categories are wide open, its just preferance.
                Its kinda hard to explain IMO, you just gotta hear it and if its good you'll like it. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

John Petrucci. He always gets a tone that I just love, be it lead or rhythm parts.

Comment

Definitely Necrophagist, way tight bottom end, balls to the wall sound...Origin too have an awesome fat sound, apparently the singer/guitarist uses a mesa Forumla, which got pretty ****ty reviews at harmony-central. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                    Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Alexi7:
                      Definitely Necrophagist, way tight bottom end, balls to the wall sound...Origin too have an awesome fat sound, apparently the singer/guitarist uses a mesa Forumla, which got pretty ****ty reviews at harmony-central. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                      Cheers
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">w00t! I don't see many mentions of necrophagist; that guy is awesome [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Gotta got with RATT here. I always thought they had the perfect mix of mid crunch.

Matt

Comment

Randy's tone on blizzard was the most unique tone I've ever heard. I love the sound he had on that album.The black album from Metallica had a great tone. Boston's 1st album really had a wicked tone.But my favorite tone is a toss up from Savatage(edge of thorns)& XYZ (stay hungry).
                          1990 Jackson Professional
                          1992 Dean ML
                          2004 Epiphone Flying V
                          2005 Epiphone Dot
                          2009 Fender Stratocaster
                          2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
                          2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
                          2006 Fender P Bass
                          2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
                          1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
                          1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
                          Custom Pedalboard
                          ADA MP1
                          ADA FX2
                          Tascam 2488

Comment

I've got to agree with Nija on this. Petrucci always has great tone.

Comment

IMO, the best metal tone ever on album... Exodus - Force of Habit. Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt just kill on that album! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X