Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When wax potting doesn't fix a squealing pickup, what's left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When wax potting doesn't fix a squealing pickup, what's left?

Several months ago, I had a local luthier try potting the DiMarzio Steve's Special in my snakeskin Dinky, as it was squealing like crazy. This didn't help at all, which leaves me wondering what more I can do before I replace the pickup. The only thing that I hadn't considered before was how the bridge pickup is mounted in this guitar, which has a Tele-style hardtail bridge. Instead of a pickup ring, the bridge holds the pickup down, as shown:

I don't have squealing issues with other pickups (EMG 81, Invader, JB) using this same bridge type, but I really like the tone of the Steve's Special. Any other suggestions before I buy a new pickup?
    sigpic

Does it squeal when you hold it? Put two fingers on the bass side of the pup and press. I like the Steve's Special too. Don't have a squealing problem with it.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Maybe the guy didn't pot it right. Ask John (Jgcable) if he can repot it for you.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sounds like it wasn't potted correctly. There is actually an art to it.
        The key is to add beeswax to the mixture.

Comment

John potted one of my pickups and it works like a champ now.

Comment

This guy is a definite pro, so I'm fairly certain of his abilities...and he does use beeswax. He explained to me what he'd be doing, but also said that potting isn't a guaranteed fix. This was a pickup that I bought used, and this same luthier is the one that installed it for me after I got the body back from GMW. Problem is, I absolutely could not make it squeal on the amp in his shop, or at home when I'm practicing, even though I'm playing through my live rig...although at apartment-friendly volumes.

The volume seems to be the key, but standing further away from the amp/cab doesn't have any obvious effect.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X