Metallica - St. Anger Song - Radio Release Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallica - St. Anger Song - Radio Release Today

I've now heard it 1 1/2 times, not sure how I feel about it. Yes, it's heavy but it's really primative and has an unmixed feeling with a terrible drum sound. James vocals are pretty poor too. Maybe I need to hear it a few more times but I'm somewhat disappointed. This sounds more like something that would be on a young poorly produced Metallica demo before Kill Em All.

What do you guys think?

Re: Metallica - St. Anger Song - Radio Release Today

I saw a video preview of it on Headbanger's Ball last week, and I heard part of it on Howard Stern this morning. I thought the beginning was cool, really liked the pretty fast double bass drum playing, thought the bass was nice and punchy in the mix, sounded decent to me. In the vocal department, I thought James sounded like a whiney little b1tch (kinda like in the Kill 'Em All tour days when he had throat problems and sounded all nasally and high-pitched)! I don't know, I guess I'd also have to listen to it more and hear the whole thing all the way through.

[ May 27, 2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well I liked it allthough the mix was quite unexpected. I love Metallica and James' voice can make any song sound good.
      I didn't notice anything wrong about his voice.
      Now you can start dissin' me!

Comment

I saw a little snippet "promo" clip of the video on Headbanger's Ball the other night, and, though it was just a bit of the song, I felt basically the same. It just seemed kind of slackly hacked and mishmashed together. I got the feeling that they might be trying to loosen their "overproduced by Bob Rock" sound, by going 180-degrees and doing basically a "crappily produced by Bob Rock" sound (assuming he's still producing for them, I dunno hehe). Eh, it just seemed like a crappy song anyway. But, I'd prefer a crappy overproduced song over a crappy underproduced song any day, myself hehehe.

Just like with the bit of the song that Metallica played as their MTV ICON show went to credits, I just got the feeling it was Metallica TRYING to be something that they very obviously are not, and don't honestly appear completely comfortable doing.

Comment

A buddy of mine got an advanced copy and I listened to the entire record yesterday. Sounds like old school Metallica to me. Lars is definately an underrated drummer because he rips on this one. To me this record sounds like Metallica. And that is definately a good thing. They aren't going to get to much radio air time out of this release and I don't really "smell a hit" which again is a GOOD THING!! The best Metallica is the stuff you don't hear on the radio. That is actually true with most metal bands. I give it high marks but nothing beats Master of Puppets. That is a masterpiece.

Comment

I heard the last minute of it today on the radio and I thought it was an unmixed or rehearsal version. Sounded like it was recorded in a garage on a 1970s mono boombox. The song itself sounded cool but the production was absolute crap.

Comment

I don't miss the lack of a guitar solo. I think that the problem that alot of people have with the new Metallica is that it doesn't sound as heavy as it used to. When you compare them to Disturbed or even Korn (who did a great job at the Icon show IMHO) they aren't as heavy. They still play 6 string and most of it is standard tuning. Face it, heavy metal nowadays is MUCH heavier than it used to be. I give Metallica alot of credit for releasing material that reflects where they started from instead of taking the easy way out and releasing a Metallica meets SOD/KoRn/Disturbed type sound. You want heavy? Listen to Scrape. The only thing that I am a little surprised about is the fact that KH hasn't really progressed at all as a guitar player or writer. He still sounds the same after all these years.

Comment

I think there could've been a solo on that one, and Lar$ should refrain from experimenting with his drumkit. The snare sounds like ass. James' vocals are pretty crappy, especially during the clean parts - like he wanted to make something SOAD would do, but he's unable to pull it off properly. The line "st anger round my neck" appears about 100x too often for my liking as well. Other than that, there's some nice riffing in there (that slow bridge part & the chorus f.e.).

Comment

It's heavy! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I think it's great. I agree, instead of having so much repetition they coulda put a solo in there, definately. But other than that, Lars' drumming sounds better than it has sounded for a long time. The riffing is definately the core of the song. My favorite part of the song is after the verse/chorus is repeated twice when James screams 'Set it free!' and the riffing goes on thru the whole thing. I think it kicks ass but I think I like Frantic a little better.

[ May 27, 2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Guitarzan ]

Comment

I saw the vid on Kerrang!, and I thought it was kickass. The producing wasn't as good as I expected, but I didn't miss a solo at all, the song didn't really need one. The song sounded slightly 'cut-and-paste', but not much. Overall, I really liked it and have just pre-ordered St. Anger for £7.50. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                      Lars is definately an underrated drummer because he rips on this one. To me this record sounds like Metallica. And that is definately
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are we sure that is Lars? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

"definitely" [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks for the spell check racerx. I definitely will remember how to spell definitely correctly from now on. Yea... I think that is Lars and yea... he is rippin. He plays outstanding double bass and always has. I always considered him a cross between Tommy Lee and Peart. Uh..oh.. I bet I am going to catch a load of sh#$t for that last statement. Definately.... uh oh.. I mean DEFINITELY!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, I'm going to guess that Kirk decided that he couldn't think of any other way to play the same solo 12 more times on this album. The wah pedal helped him for the last couple of years, but I'll guess the creativity just isn't there anymore and he knows it. I think the switch back to thrashier sounding is a nice one, other than the guitar playing seems kinda "sloppy" for what I'm used to with them, and I can't get over the "nu-metal" vibe I got from that song. I also think the decision to make the album sound under-produced was a bad one, and it may really end up f*cking up one of the best albums for Lars' drumming. I'm kinda up in the air on this one now, will have to wait until I hear the whole album to make a final decision. Atleast Anthrax delivered this year !

Comment

In interviews with Bob Rock, it was said that they tried the songs with solos and they tried to fit them in, but it ended up making the songs weaker and taking away from the impact. They also said that the guitars are always dueling so much back and forth that it's almost like rhythm soloing and that it just created such energy that there was no room for solos.

Comment

I have listened to the entire album a bunch of times and it is classic old school Metallica. If you liked their stuff prior to Master of Puppets you will love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X