Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone else use EMG's for a long time than go back to passives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone else use EMG's for a long time than go back to passives?

I did and i am still about how much tone , feel and general character i was missing out on!
    I am sorry but after using the emg's exclusively for over a year and then going back to dimarzio's and duncans i can IMHO say that the emgs are all about output,quietness,tightness while not having any real character or tone at all
    I still have a 85 loaded in my alexi ESP but that is only because it was the only pup that sounded right in that guitar which is up for sale anyways
    I was curious has anyone tried the newer dave mustiane LW actives?
    I heard these retain the qualities of passives while still having the advatages of actives?
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

I've actually pretty much decided I prefer EMGs mostly now over passives. I still like passives, but the EMGs just seem to give me more of the clean and distorted tones I'm looking for... 85 bridge with either a 60 or 81 neck.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I did. Went from EMG85 in the bridge to Jackson J90c in the bridge which dissapointed me. Hard to get harmonics out of it and muddier than EMG85. Though it could be the 11-49 strings in C standard tuning (low tension). I'm going back to EMG85 this weekend and I'll try the 18v mod then!

Comment

EMG fan here, but they do have their place. I still have certain guitars that will always have passives. If you put EMGs in all your guitars, they'll all sound virtually the same!
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I used EMGs for years and years, and then I tried the Duncan Distortion. The Duncan is definitely muddier in the lower register, but I can live with that, since the tone just slays the EMGs for what I want to play (while I used to be big on thrash, I'm now more into harder variants of classic metal, like Painkiller-era Priest for instance).

Comment

Yeah, I used EMGs for about 3 or 4 years, but now am using all passive and am happy. I wouldn't mind having one EMG equipped guitar for that sound, but I sure wouldn't want all of my guitars to have them.

Comment

I´ve used both EMGS and Duncans for as long as I can remember.....

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                I´ve used both EMGS and Duncans for as long as I can remember.....
                so don't keep us hanging here....which ones do you like the best???
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                  Yeah, I used EMGs for about 3 or 4 years, but now am using all passive and am happy. I wouldn't mind having one EMG equipped guitar for that sound, but I sure wouldn't want all of my guitars to have them.
                  +1
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                    just played a EMG loaded guitar after not trying one for a while and i hated it completly!
                    tonally they have nothing on the passives
                    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

I have guitars with EMG's (81's and 85's) and others with either the Jackson J-XX p-ups or the Duncans / Dimarzio and without a doubt, my EMG equiped guitars have a brighter crisper sound even with max distortion the harmonics seem to ring through a bit brighter than the other p-up's in the Jackson / Charvels I have.

Comment

i've been using EMG's exclusively for 15 years. i am trying to go with passives in some of my guitars and having a hard time finding ones i like.
                        so far i've got 2 guitars with custom customs in them and they are pretty good. but i keep returning to my EMG equipped axes.

i still want to try a Dimarzio Super Distortion. but i think i'll always go running back to EMG's. they are kind of like that crazy girlfriend that you want to get away from, but she is just so hot and fucks you so good. even when you find a sweet sounding one, you miss the hot fuck and end up wanting her back.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

For awhile, I was swapping EMGs into all of my guitars, but my new favorite is the Evolution. I still have a couple of guitars with EMGs and still like them, but overall, I prefer the touch sensitivity of the Evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                            For awhile, I was swapping EMGs into all of my guitars, but my new favorite is the Evolution. I still have a couple of guitars with EMGs and still like them, but overall, I prefer the touch sensitivity of the Evolution.
                            I played with one years ago for a long while and love it.
                            Good versatile little pickup. It sounds nice clean too.
                            It does both(dirty and clean) really well.
                            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                              i've been using EMG's exclusively for 15 years. i am trying to go with passives in some of my guitars and having a hard time finding ones i like.
                              so far i've got 2 guitars with custom customs in them and they are pretty good. but i keep returning to my EMG equipped axes.

i still want to try a Dimarzio Super Distortion. but i think i'll always go running back to EMG's. they are kind of like that crazy girlfriend that you want to get away from, but she is just so hot and ----- you so good. even when you find a sweet sounding one, you miss the hot ---- and end up wanting her back.

wow that is pretty wild that you like the custom custom and use emgs
                              since they are NOTHING alike
                              the CC's are real pafish and EVH toned
                              i like the air zone myself which is a lot like a duncan CC but tighter and more dynamic

Comment

Working...
                              X