Jackson preamps and pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson preamps and pickups

It kind of surprised me to hear that Alexi has Jackson pickups, so I thought I could check what you guys had to say about them.

How many preamps do jackson produce? They are compatible with all pickups but EMG's?

What pickup and preamp is Alexi Laiho using?

Thanks
    I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Re: Jackson preamps and pickups

he's got almoust the same setup as latvala has.
    they both use a JE1000 (gainboost) together with J50BC PUs.

jackson further produces the JE1200 (midboost) and a JE2000 (?) which is some kind of boost for bass.

and yep, you can use the preamps with every passive PU as far as I know.
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Is that J50b/JE1000 the main pickup config that he uses? Maybe on To Hell and Back?

Where'd you find that out at? I can never find out much about that guy.

Comment

Yes, the Jackson preamps will work with all passive pickups, but Kevin Easton told me last year that they really don't sound all that great with other pups and he recommended against it. Though, you could always try it and see if it sounds good to you.

EMG also makes preamp accessories that will work with passive or active pups, such as the SPC (presence/midboost), the RPC (treble boost), PA2 (gain boost, pretty much the same as the Afterburner). The EXG is an expander (I guess similar to a BBE Sonic Maximizer) where it boosts the lows and highs, cuts the mids, but I'm not sure if it works with passive pups or not.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I know since alexi and roope work together alexi uses almoust the same setup as roope does. (roope always was a big influnece on alexi)
          they only differ in effectunits and poweramp.
          so I'm, pretty sure the sound alexi used from THAB+ is from this setup. not sure bout BWTH...
          at least life. not sure if they have a different studio equipment, but I don't think so.

you can find out more about roope on the old waltari homepage (pretty cool band btw! check out some stuff from spave avenue or yeah yeah die die album!)

further I talked to alexi and roope a few times after gigs.

roope has been using this guitars since his old stone days as far as I know back in the 80s.

sounds damn cool IMO, but be sure to take the right preamp for that.
          with a high gain preamp it sounds like ****.

roope latvala "it's almoust impossible to get a clean sound out of this" [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          very versatile indeed, but as long as it sounds killer...
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

I checked this new custom shop quote form. However, active electronics field does not have JE-1000 as an option. This is obviously stupid question, but I'll have to ask it. Is it still possible to have JE1000(gainboost) in custom shop guitar? How much extra this system would cost?

It would be nice to get an answer to this (stupid?) question. Thanks.

Comment

Ah, I see the PSA-1 preamp he's using. I figured that. I had one and came VERY close to the Sinergy sound... I loved that one control on it that went from sounding like a fender strat to a marshall with a wah set halfway... Obviously they used that a lot.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info

Hmm... I'm using a TB4 and I'm very pleased with it. Is there a midboost that will treat it as deserved? If not, Which Jackson pickup sounds most like the TB4? What about the modboost diagram someone posted here? How would that work out? I have the picture, if you guys want it.
                I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Comment

Working...
                X