Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metallica - St. Anger - Actual Review !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallica - St. Anger - Actual Review !!!

Sounds promising!

http://krockradio.com/grammy/local_story_106142000.html

Re: Metallica - St. Anger - Actual Review !!!

I've noticed that you (greg) seem to be the leader in postings concerning metallica. You a big fan or something? I was introduced to Metal thru Metallica, so I feel I have to respect them, regardless of whether or not their sh!t stinks nowadays.

Comment

Actually, I loved them....... then hated them along with everyone else. They were screwed by Bob Rock and their record company. Reload was recorded at the same time as Load so they were stuck with it. I've been watching with very curious anticipation as St. Anger has been in the works. I'm curious to see if they can redeem themselves. My guess was NO, no way possible but from what I'm beginning to read..... they may just pull it off..... we'll see.

Here's another:

Kerrang: Metallica's 'St. Anger' Is Band's Finest Effort To Date

Source: Blabbermouth.net

METALLICA's forthcoming effort, "St. Anger", is nothing short of "the finest thing [the band] have put their name to," according to the latest issue of Britain's Kerrang! magazine, which recently had an opportunity to preview a couple of the cuts set to appear on the CD. "The volume is intoxicating, the songs even more so," the report continues. "METALLICA haven't gone backwards, they have gone elsewhere, somewhere they haven't really gone before. Much of the speed is back — speed that recalls the days of 'Battery' and 'Dyers Eve'. But the format is remarkedly different. This isn't controlled aggression, much of it is uncontrolled violence. It's ironic that at a time when the band are so at peace with one another they should make an album that sounds like they're at war. As one track follows the another — there are only working titles like 'Monster' and 'Frantic' — the difference not only between what you expect but what has gone becomes clear. There's no space between the drums and the guitars, there are riffs everywhere, there is anger and confusion — 'Do not know the answer, I don't know what the question is' is one lyric - there is swearing and shouting and time changes and speed and fury. It is difficult on a first listen not to surmise that 'St. Anger' is the finest thing METALLICA have put their name to. All the songs I'm assured, sound like this. There are no ballads. Instead there's an assault of speed and volume and anger and intensity. This is exactly the kind of thing that made a slogan such as 'Birth, school, METALLICA, death' an apposite and appropriate summation of everything this band could muster, both in themselves and their audience."

Comment

3 words: We shall see....

(or...hear) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What is the release date?
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

June 10 or 11. Right before their arena tour kicks off. Which I"ll be at on Aug. 1st.

Comment

If I hear ONE MORE BAND saying they've gone "back to their roots" I'm gonna puke. [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

"Not one track features a guitar solo, yet there's no lack of dizzying sonic firepower"

I always knew quirk couldnt handle being a guitarist...

That can't be true? Bah to metallica! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll be seeing them at Rock am Ring here in Germany, which takes place at the beginning of June, and I hope that they'll be playing an appropriate set... so, I guess there'll be one or two new songs in the set, I'll tell you guys whether they're any good as soon as I return.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy:
                  "Not one track features a guitar solo, yet there's no lack of dizzying sonic firepower"

I always knew quirk couldnt handle being a guitarist...

That can't be true? Bah to metallica! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, the "No guitar solos" thing sounds lame to me too. I'll bet they are going to sound more like one of the nu-er metal bands.

[ April 25, 2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Dave ]
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

.........ah , In Flames has em beat ! they are my new Metallica , Have been for a while ! //Steve

Comment

thank god, no solos from kirk. finally they got something right. they can go back to their roots or whatever, who cares...I'll take soilwork, lamb of god, opeth, the haunted....

Comment

Please, Krock is just a popularity contest. I live in NY and have to suffer through that being our rock station. Once I called to request Megadeth and got hung up on on air by a DJ after he said "We are a Metallica station!" So you be the judge on how real that review is or if it's just ass kissing.
                        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

*shrugs* Well i downloaded a supposid demo of the song "Frantic." I don't think it was a metallica song, but it was a neat little instrumental to listen to [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Sounds like something you'd listen to while playing the original Unreal game.

Comment

The review probably heard a rough version of the album. on JITS, the band said at one point there wasa stage where everything was pretty much roughed out, but there were no guitar solos in yet. So thats probably when they played the previews to the press. Or thats what I think.

Sounds good, apart from the no solos thing. That actually worries me a bit. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much that there will be no solos...everything I've ever read or seen about Kirk tells me he's a "wait till the very last minute" kinda guy. Everything else gets finished, then he goes in and records solos in holes.

Comment

Working...
                              X