euro tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• euro tone

i was listening to stuff like Helloween, gamma ray, and Blind Guardian and i really like the tone and scales they use. as far as i've been able to learn, BG uses esp guitars and thats about all i know. What amps, guitars and pickups do these guys use and how could i emulate their tone on a 5150 combo with a jackson kelly?

also, any idea on what scale patterns they're using? i wanna say mixolydian but i'm not certain. thanks

Re: euro tone

The guys in BG have used Mesa Rectifiers (saw André play one live) and some sort of Engl in the past - that's all I know, though. Kai Hansen of Gamma Ray once had his own Jap-ESP Signature model, if you want more details on that (pickups, woods, bridge) do a google search or something.
    As for scales, I really can't help you there, sorry.
    BTW, us Europeans also have more than cheesy powermetalbands to offer (in case you don't already know) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

well man i'd take powermetal over most of the stuff people call music in the states nowadays. this may sound weird but i'd rather talk to kai hansen then christina aguliera

Comment

Originally posted by Baum83:
        BTW, us Europeans also have more than cheesy powermetalbands to offer (in case you don't already know) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wtf,here in Italy we've too much power metal band!
        We have also great Death Metal bands,but usually just few of them get a deal for a good label..

Comment

i don't seem to be getting much response here? where are the powermetallers?!?!! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

GAMMA RAY IS MY FAVORITE BAND!!!!!!!

i love the "dugga dugga". powermetal rules, my freinds band Twisted Tower Dire just recorded with Peit Seilk of Iron Savior for there first rememdy records release. i went to prog power III just to see Gamma Ray and they were totally great! i got to meet them and get thier autograph and sh1t. i was so drunk and so was henjo ritcher we were humming gamma solos and and he corrected me on one part ( i said "i love that guitar break you do in Wings of Destiny, you know the part that goes do dood doododo...." and he goes "oh yah, you mean do da do daad dooo doo....." and all i could think was, man this guy is as drunk as me and as goofy, he just corrected me in doos)hehheh it was one of the greatest times of my life. and as good as gamma ray and blind guardian were (which BG was so good i had to sit down to take it all in) Edguy stole the show! and i don't like edguy that much on cd but live they bring back the feeling of old maiden, tobius sammet was running around on the stage pumping up the croud just like bruce used to do. he got everybody there on their feet, all the way up to the top row of seats. eveyone was standing with their fist in the air. great showmanship, i was really impressed. but still Gamma Ray is the best. when they were doing the meat-in-great and Dan Zimmerman walked out i yelled "DAN the machine" cause he wrote "damn the machine" and hes such a good drummer. then i saw GR walking down the street, the next day, so i again yelled, out of my car, at them "dan the machine" and "watcher in the sky" dan laughed and kai looked up at the sky! it was hilarious. that night when they played dan did a drum solo and afterwards kai came out and said "ladies and gentlemen, DAN the MACHINE!" i died lauging and smiling cause i knew i had some kind of an impact on them. anyway enough of my stupid little story.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

oh yeah, henjo played 2 triple rectifiers and kia played 2 5150's, kia's v is actually and old cheap fernandes body that he had esp put a neck on, with an emg in the bridge and a split coil older fernades pickup, half of which is covered and the other have has exposed coils. (i saw kia's roady in the hotel and was asking him about i) so kia doesn't actually play his own signature model. his sig model is just bassed on that with 2 emg's. henjo was playing a reversed headstock esp LTD with stock duncan design pickups. Blind Guirdian was wither using t-recs or 5150's i can't remeber. infact most bands at that show were either 1 or the other. (but that might have been just the gear they rented for that show, but i hear that the 5051 is standard in euro metal these days.
              Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

Here's Kai Hansen's signature ESP model:

And the specs:

COLOR : Pink
                BODY : Mahogany
                NECK : Maple
                FINGER BOARD : Rosewood
                CONSTRUCTION : Bolt-on
                SCALE : 25.5"
                TUNERS : GOTOH
                BRIDGE : Original Floyd Rose
                HARDWARE COLOR : Black
                FRET : 22 / XJ
                FRONT PICKUP EMG 81
                BRIDGE PICKUP : EMG 81
                CONTOROL : 1 Volume , 1 Tone , PU Select Switch

Comment

did you happen to get any of the settings on the 5150 or anything like that? it just so happens that thats the amp that i'd have and it'd be a big help if i knew how to dial in something close to their tones

Comment

no but heres a tip, try backing off the presence, so things arn't so fuzzy. use lots of mids if not full all the way up, and as much bass as it can handle. play with the gain and treble and presence to fine tune the high end. and whatever you do, MAKE SURE YOU ARE SETTING YOUR SOUND WITH NEW STRINGS!!!!!!!!!! and that you are doing it at a loud volume! (if you set your tone to quiet volumes then it will sound like crap when you turn it up to get over the drums.)
                    Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

so these guys typically use two EMG 81's in their guitars?

Comment

Working...
                      X