This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angry Fans Leave Pearl Jam Concert After Anti-Bush Display

DENVER — Dozens of fans walked out of a Pearl Jam concert after lead singer Eddie Vedder took a mask of President Bush and impaled it on a microphone stand.

Several concertgoers booed and shouted Tuesday night for Vedder to shut up as he told the crowd he was against the war and Bush. He impaled the mask during the encore of the band's opening show of a U.S. tour.

"It was like he decapitated someone in a primal ritual and stuck their head on a stick," fan Keith Zimmerman said.

Vedder used a Bush mask in Australia and Japan to perform the song "Bushleaguer," from the band's latest album, Riot Act. The song's lyrics say, "He's not a leader, he's a Texas leaguer."

During the show, Vedder said: "Just to clarify... we support the troops."

"We're just confused on how wanting to bring them back safely all of a sudden becomes non-support," he said. "We love them. They're not the ones who make the foreign policy .... Let's hope for the best and speak our opinions."

Pearl Jam manager Kelly Curtis could not immediately be reached for comment Thursday.

The Dixie Chicks were the target of boycotts and bans after their lead singer made anti-Bush statements on a London stage last month.

Re: Angry Fans Leave Pearl Jam Concert After Anti-Bush Display

Maybe it was the music that made them walk out? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

During the show, Vedder said: "Just to clarify... we support the troops."

"We're just confused on how wanting to bring them back safely all of a sudden becomes non-support," he said. "We love them. They're not the ones who make the foreign policy .... Let's hope for the best and speak our opinions."

Well, since Eddie asked, my opinion is that Pearl Jam sucks donkey ***** and Eddie always takes the biggest ones!

[img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] Just a wannabe Bono - but more
        lame!
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I'll never understand the "oh, but we support the troops" line. What the feck do you think the military is for?!? It's there to break stuff and kill people. Duh...

If any American doesn't want to support this war, your course is simple: Figure out the percentage of your taxes that pays for the military, and refuse to pay it.

Because I'd rather not even consider anybody "loving" our troops...
          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

You don't win wars with love and kindness...They are trained to kill and kill they will [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

word to yo'mutha

Comment

Pearl Jam........ a band that put on one good CD over ten years ago and then has sucked for more than a decade. Whey would anyone want to see them?

Comment

They are appearing here this weekend. Can't wait to see what happens.

Comment

Our troops over there are flesh and blood human beings, just like you and I. I know this because I was one of them. I served proudly from 1997-2001 as a US Marine Infantryman. I am brothers in arms with every single combat Marine in Iraq. They DO need our support. Many of them have mixed feelings about this war, yet they have no say in what wars they fight. I support every one of my brothers 110%, and I wish them all home safely. However, having been the finger that pulls trigger for our nation, I can tell you from personal experience that there is no finer fighting force in the world than our Marine Corps. They are not fighting for Bush, and they are not fighting for Rumsfeld. They are fighting for each other.

Comment

Necrotechno,
                      "It's there to break stuff and kill people. Duh". You left out 'being killed, themselves', i think THAT'S the point that's being made. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                      Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                        Our troops over there are flesh and blood human beings, just like you and I. I know this because I was one of them. I served proudly from 1997-2001 as a US Marine Infantryman. I am brothers in arms with every single combat Marine in Iraq. They DO need our support. Many of them have mixed feelings about this war, yet they have no say in what wars they fight. I support every one of my brothers 110%, and I wish them all home safely. However, having been the finger that pulls trigger for our nation, I can tell you from personal experience that there is no finer fighting force in the world than our Marine Corps. They are not fighting for Bush, and they are not fighting for Rumsfeld. They are fighting for each other.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">thanks ace, i think you said it best.

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I think that was a low-class act by Vedder. While I am a supporter of the President, I do respect the opinions of those who disagree--that's why we're Americans. But this is over the line--I wonder if Vedder would have respected my 'freedom of speech' had I done such a thing to a Clinton mask onstage? He, like many leftists, would probably have called it "hate speech."

Comment

Originally posted by Alexi7:
                            Necrotechno,
                            "It's there to break stuff and kill people. Duh". You left out 'being killed, themselves', i think THAT'S the point that's being made. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                            Cheers
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, some do get killed themselves, but
                            that's NOT what they're there for; it's just unavoidable. The military's purpose
                            (ANY country's military) is to break the
                            ENEMY's stuff and kill the ENEMY, without
                            being killed itself/themselves. Therefore, Necrotechno was correct in his
                            statement. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Remember what "King Jeremy the wicked" did... [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                              Gotta get away from here.
                              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                              X