Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about String Saver Floyd Rose saddles

Guys,

Anyone tried these? I don't have a problem with strings breaking on my Floyd'd guitars (does anyone?), so I'm more curious about their claim regarding 25% more sustain.

Anyone have experience with these saddles?
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

LOL I've never had any problem with any Floyds either, but I just bought a set of these last night through Graph Tech for the hell of it. I should have bought them through Stew-Mac, though, as they're $10 cheaper.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      LOL I've never had any problem with any Floyds either, but I just bought a set of these last night through Graph Tech for the hell of it. I should have bought them through Stew-Mac, though, as they're $10 cheaper.
      So, how are they? Did you put them on?

Comment

Ordered them online last night, so I should receive them in a few days, I guess. I'll let you know how they are when they arrive.

Comment

Oh yeah, please post a review TJ

Comment

Yes, please do.
            "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

I definitely will. Those things have intrigued me for awhile, and I just felt like going for it. I hope they're cool and the hype is real.

Comment

I have the non-Floyd type on quite a few guitars. I haven't tried the Floyd one's yet, but if they are as good as the other Graphtech saddles I have, I'd like to get some. I have them on all the Charvels also that have the brass vintage trems. They make a world of difference in sound. The tone is excellent. I would never go back to brass saddles I also have them on Fenders and my Les Pauls. Very good and no string breakage.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Do those saddles have a steel threaded insert or something where the string lock bolts go in? I've had regular strat style graphtech saddles, and the intonation screws just threaded right into the plastic. If the Floyd style are the same way, would it be super easy to strip out the threads? This may be a dumb question, but I've not seen a set in person.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Good question mm2002...

Comment

I just got an email confirmation that my saddles will ship out tomorrow. I didn't realize Graph Tech are in Canada. Here's info about the saddles, and a pic, from their site.

http://estore.graphtech.com/gti/aqua...80%2D00&eq=&Tp

Comment

Question about String Saver Floyd Rose saddles

> Since his were just about worn out,with no extra metal for reslotting,a friend tried some of the ones for a tunamatic style on his LP Custom,That is the best way I've ever heard to make a LP custom sound like ass,but maybe it's just me. We even tried refiling the grooves thinking that was the problem,changed strings,nothing worked,no sustain or brightness at all,like you were using saddles made of soft plastic or cardboard. We drove an hour to get a set of stainless ones from Gruhn Guitars in Nashville,and it went right back to being a great sounding LP. Then again,this was when there were still American made Barrettas,so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the material has gotten better over the years. Those old Dive Bomber replacement saddles they made for Strat trems were even worse. Tommy D.
                        "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          I just got an email confirmation that my saddles will ship out tomorrow. I didn't realize Graph Tech are in Canada. Here's info about the saddles, and a pic, from their site.

http://estore.graphtech.com/gti/aquarius/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={A0E1E7E9-512D-454B-9973-B190EVEREST3B165BE8}&ic=PS%2D8080%2D00&eq=&Tp

Link doesn't work Joetam....but that picture looks like the string lock bolts thread right into the plastic. It does appear that they have a thin metal shim over the intonation screw seats. hmmmmmmmmmmm.........
                          Anyway, here's my prediction based on previous experience: Those saddles are going to make the strings sound "dead".

Review please.
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I have a set on one of my guitars. They install easy enough and I have had no problems with them. As for sound differences, I think there is a bit of a sound difference however it may be more apparent for recording/playback - have not tried this. I have not had a chance to see if they reduce string breakage. A minor subtlety - the ones I have are a charcoal gray and they do not quite match the black color of the Floyd. I assume they will not rust/pit very easily. Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                              Do those saddles have a steel threaded insert or something where the string lock bolts go in? I've had regular strat style graphtech saddles, and the intonation screws just threaded right into the plastic. If the Floyd style are the same way, would it be super easy to strip out the threads? This may be a dumb question, but I've not seen a set in person.

Good question Mark! They most likely are built like the Ferraglides. Stainless Steel construction with the graphite inserts. I'll have to get a set to test myself.
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X