Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Case Smells Like Cat Piss- Not Joking! - WTF?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Case Smells Like Cat Piss- Not Joking! - WTF?!

Man, the case for my new KV2 smells nasty. Like freakin' cat piss or something rancid along those lines. (....And, no, I don't even have a cat or any other pets!)

I tried leaving it wide open down in my basement to air it out. It's been a week now, and it still smells just as bad. No difference whatsoever. WTF!

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions for getting rid of the smell? It's really bad.

Didn't I just recently read a thread bragging about that "new Jackson" smell?????? Sounds like you got a lemon bro.

Seriously, yeah it's pretty common. Has to do with the glue they use to put in that fake fur looking shit. Just keep it open and let it sit outside in the weather for a few weeks, the smell will go away.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Or in the meantime, Febreze.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Close the case, problem solved.
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Or in the meantime, Febreze.
          I thought about that, but I wonder if the chemicals might stay on the case fur and possibly damage the guitar's finish down the line. ???

Besides, Febreze covers up smells more than it solves them. That'd be temporary at best.

Comment

Go to your local pet store and get either some charcoal filters for fish tanks or for cat litter boxes.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Leaving it open & waiting is about all you can do. Febreze or carpet freshener might help some, but the glue is going to keep outgassing until it is fully cured. I've seen some people recommend baking soda for case smells before, but I'd recommend against it because baking soda is a salt, it's alkaline, & it's a highly reactive compound. 3 things that are very bad for the metal parts of your guitar.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Go to your local pet store and get either some charcoal filters for fish tanks or for cat litter boxes.
              That sounds like a great idea! Suck that stench up w/ charcoal!
              Last edited by dg; 09-28-2006, 06:18 PM.

Comment

now you know what every cat owner's house smells like
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                  now you know what every cat owner's house smells like
                  Cat owners can't smell shit.
                  The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                    Cat owners can't smell shit.
                    Plus they have no clue how to choose a "real" pet. FUCK CATS. Get a fucking dog already. (or maybe a hamster)

Comment

i believe it was the departed black mariah who likened the smell of some cases to "really bad asparagus whiz". could be you got a batch of those.
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Didn't you know? Cat whiz makes a great case glue!

I made the mistake, once, of using silicon caulking to re-adhere the foam insert into my Fender case.........................notice I said "once"..............
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

All my Jackson cases smell of chocolate...mmmmmm.
                          The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                            Plus they have no clue how to choose a "real" pet. FUCK CATS. Get a fucking dog already. (or maybe a hamster)
                            I was gonna get a hamster, but it wouldn't come out of your butt. :ROTF:
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              I was gonna get a hamster, but it wouldn't come out of your butt. :ROTF:
                              just because you didn't know how to talk nice to him

Comment

Working...
                              X