Model 1A pickguard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 1A pickguard

so I'm thinking about doing some MAJOR modifications to my Model 1A.....ie changing the pickguard.

I'm kinda sick of the black-on-black look and want to mix things up a little, get a little crazy. Maybe put a tortoiseshell guard on her

So what I'm wondering, for you mod-mad mofos here, will a standard Fender 8 hole pickguard pop straight on it? Is it a direct swap?
    Hail yesterday

It's possible but I wouldn't hold my breath. Not all Fenders even follow the "standard". Even if it's not a perfect alignment you can just drill a new hole or two - the old holes shouldn't be visible.

Also, checkout http://chandlerguitars.com - they will make you anything you want.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

thanks Tim. I might take the guitar with me to a few shops around here and see how their stocks match up.

I noticed that Chandler even have a Charvel page in their pickguards section!
      Hail yesterday

Comment

A 9-hole strat pickguard from warmoth will get you close. Remember, the neck heel is wider as well, so you'll have to shave it to fit as well. Here's a pic of mine with a warmoth 9-hole guard. I didn't bother with the screws that don't line up - its good enough for rock n' roll.

-------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

you can trace your existing gaurd and have one made...

I've never bought a replacement pg that fit 100% or line up with existing drilled holes. I have no problems drilling a couple more holes tho..
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

This guy on EBay called AIGUITARS does good work. I've sent some tracings to him and he's come through for me. I haven't been able to contact him lately, maybe he's getting that popular where he doesn't answer emails... I was hoping he could make me a Charvel Spectrum pickguard in black.

Comment

I used a generic replacement pickguard on my 3a and it worked fine except for modifying for the kahler. And a few holes needed to be added but it lines up just fine.

Comment

thanks for all your input, folks. I took the original p/g shopping last week and dug through a big bin looking for a match. The best match was a bit more than I'd planned on spending, but not only was it a pretty good fit, it was pretty as all get out - a thick piece of clear with a purty flamed maple laminate. So I had to get it. Fluttered my eyelashes at the girl behind the counter and she gave me a great discount on it.

It's an 11 hole guard, but 5 of the original 8 holes lined up well, leaving 3 for me to redrill when I got home. I left the other 3 blank and with the guitar all strung up, I don't even notice.

I think the end result looks pretty bloody good. Will endeavour to get some pics up ASAP
                Last edited by VitaminG; 10-08-2006, 09:39 PM.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                X