Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool eBay score for me! Ian Mayo's (Hericane Alice) BC Rich Explorer neck-thru!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool eBay score for me! Ian Mayo's (Hericane Alice) BC Rich Explorer neck-thru!!

Check it out! I just scored a cool bass - it was Ian Mayo's (of Hericane Alice, Bangalore Choir, Bad Moon Rising, and Burning Rain) BC Rich Custom Explorer Bass! It's neck-thru too! It's been stripped of hardware, but that's replaceable. I got it for $152.50!!!

This bass is pictured in the liner sleeve of Hericane Alice's "Tear the House Down" cd. I've got a couple pics in my photo album too - http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/chrisolso...uitars&.view=t

Anyway, my first brush with (kinda) fame! Just thought I'd share! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'm pretty amped! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] New project soon to be underway!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ February 14, 2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Re: Cool eBay score for me! Ian Mayo\'s (Hericane Alice) BC Rich Explorer neck-thru!!

Originally posted by chris_olson:
    Check it out! I just scored a cool bass - it was Ian Mayo's (of Hericane Alice, Bangalore Choir, Bad Moon Rising, and Burning Rain) BC Rich Custom Explorer Bass! It's neck-thru too! It's been stripped of hardware, but that's replaceable. I got it for $152.50!!!

This bass is pictured in the liner sleeve of Hericane Alice's "Tear the House Down" cd. I've got a couple pics in my photo album too - http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/chrisolso...uitars&.view=t

Anyway, my first brush with (kinda) fame! Just thought I'd share! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'm pretty amped! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] New project soon to be underway!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ian is from my home town. Rochester, MN. Ever hear of the Mayo clinic? Yeah, he's related.
    Went to school with him,(Mayo high) he's a couple years younger and he used to be a pretty arrogant prick.. but kudos to Ian 'cause he set his sites on something and he didn't let much of anyone or anything stand in his way. If you talk with him, tell him Tom Schulz says hi..and I still remember his slams. Oh and congrats on the bass.. it was a great bass, hope you'll have it up and going again.

[ February 14, 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Re: Cool eBay score for me! Ian Mayo\'s (Hericane Alice) BC Rich Explorer neck-thru!!

[/QUOTE]Ian is from my home town. Rochester, MN. Ever hear of the Mayo clinic? Yeah, he's related.
      Went to school with him,(Mayo high) he's a couple years younger and he used to be a pretty arrogant prick.. but kudos to Ian 'cause he set his sites on something and he didn't let much of anyone or anything stand in his way. If you talk with him, tell him Tom Schulz says hi..and I still remember his slams. Oh and congrats on the bass.. it was a great bass, hope you'll have it up and going again.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Hey Charvelguy-
      I live in Minneapolis, but I was born in Austin, and grew up in Marshall (SW Minnesota), so I know all about the Mayo connection. I think he was the Grandson or great-grandson of the founder if I remember right. I got to see him in Hericane Alice in a little tiny town called Lynd, MN - pop. about 500 or so in 1990 at the Lyndwood Ballroom. He played this bass that night! It was my first "real" band experience!

The guy who sold it to me is Dan Greenberg, who actually played all the bass tracks on the Bangalore Choir cd, even though Ian is pictured in it. He's friends with Ian I guess, and is still doing some stuff with one of the guitarists from BC. I'm gonna try to catch up with him the next time I get out to LA. But I'll certainly see if I can maybe meet him (Ian) and I'll say hi if I get the chance. Ian's not too busy now that Burning Rain is on hiatus while Doug Aldrich is keeping busy with Dio and Whitesnake.

I can't wait to get this thing! What luck! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Congratulations, Chris! I can only imagine how excited you must be! Now if I could get Alex Lifeson's white Gibson
        ES355 stereo guitar,then I'd KNOW how you feel! (I'm old, sue me - and pass me that Geritol!) [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Again, congratulations! you now have what these guys [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] are missing - an awesome bass!
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Great score man!! Never seen a BC Rick explorer bass before. Thanks for the pix. Enjoy it!!!!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool Chris.. very cool, another Minnesotain!

That bass will have so much more of a better home with you due to it's association with those memories in addition to that it's a great score for 150.00.

I wonder what the other guys from H.Alice are doing nowdays.. Nauman was in a blues based rock band in the cites here many years ago when Alice split but I haven't heard anything much since.
            Glad to hear Ian is still kickin in the scene.. if you do catch up..send him my best!

[ February 15, 2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Hey hey. Well hell if everyone from MN is chiming in I may as well also..HAHAHA. I'm in NE MPLS. I remember when Hurricane Alice had there video on MTV. Tear the house down I think. They were ok. Not around too long though.
              LATER!!!
              H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mr426:
                Hey hey. Well hell if everyone from MN is chiming in I may as well also..HAHAHA. I'm in NE MPLS. I remember when Hurricane Alice had there video on MTV. Tear the house down I think. They were ok. Not around too long though.
                LATER!!!
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey mr426-
                I completely forgot to drop you a line. You can shoot me an email - [email protected]. We'll have to get together sometime. (Maybe after I get the bass!!)

They were another band that arrived on a SATURATED scene just a little too late. Lotsa talent, but bad timing.

I've always liked Explorers - this one should be super-cool. I have only seen one other BC Rich Explorer - it was a guitar. It's on Justin Coffman's site. Pretty unique I'd say!

Comment

"Tear the House down" .. boy, I forgot all about that song. Gone are the days of Ryans, NIBS, Muldoons, Mirage, Iron Horse.. etc. Sometimes I miss seeing a sea of fishnets...(j/k)

Chris is right tho...Alice arrived very late and had marginal success.. but at least they were signed to a major label. Given the music..it was pretty much the same ole, same ole, which is what partly caused that music to lose it's appeal.
                  Diversity is the name of the mainstream nowadays, it can be different, but not just to off the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy:
                    "Tear the House down" .. boy, I forgot all about that song. Gone are the days of Ryans, NIBS, Muldoons, Mirage, Iron Horse.. etc. Sometimes I miss seeing a sea of fishnets...(j/k)

Chris is right tho...Alice arrived very late and had marginal success.. but at least they were signed to a major label. Given the music..it was pretty much the same ole, same ole, which is what partly caused that music to lose it's appeal.
                    Diversity is the name of the mainstream nowadays, it can be different, but not just to off the wall.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You know, I'm thinking the "nu" stuff will implode on itself eventually if the 80's were any indication - how many more bands can tune their guitars down to L-flat, paint their faces (ala Kiss), and have so many piercing they cause a major magnetic force when they move too quickly...hmmm - maybe Hericane Alice still has a chance! Bangalore Choir, Bad Moon Rising, and Burning Rain are pretty decent discs too - Ian plays on all except Bangalore Choir. Good stuff - I really miss it!

Charvelguy - funny you should mention the fact that it's cool that someone with a connection (roundabout as it is) with the bass should get it - that's exactly what Dan had said to me! Even if I never get it up and running (which I can't imagine not doing), I'll keep it - killer wall-hanger conversation piece, ya know?

Comment

Hey hey. Oh the Iron Horse how I miss that. The chicks were hot as hell there too. Same with the Mirage. Great clubs. Hell even Sharkys is gone now. It sux. How about Slave Raider? HAHAHAHA. Remember when they did a remake of TNT for the 1987 world series? I have that on tape around here. HAHAHA. They were everywhere. I seem to remember the guitar player having a red snake skin Soloist. My band was playing Sharkeys and Ryans alot right before they went. Ryans was cool.
                      LATER!!!
                      H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

I always despised that pole, my guitar did too.

Just the fact that the bass went for so low of a price is indication of you were in the right place at the right time...I have a bunch of unfinished projects, but as long as has a connection of sentiment, it has a good home... you'll probably hear from Ian about it at some point in time if you don't seek him first.

Yeah, it (the scene) cycles, the disco, funk, soul thing of the 60's/70's was the same way. The current stuff will change too... it's sounding more commercialized and mainstream, and that wasn't the appeal of alternative music to begin with,... that retro takeoff of 60's bands vibe. I had to learn a Puddle of Mud tune for a gig.. "she f-n hates me" kinda of a nice little 4 chord walk sequence, but it sounds like 10 other bands could've wrote it.

Ahh Slave Raid, isn't chainsaw doing the "hairball" band thing, that kinda looks like him in the promo shots.

[ February 16, 2003, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

"TOUCHED" played for my prom in 1988! Mark has looked the same for 15 years - WOW! Don is back in the band now too. I know Todd Duane the guitar player pretty well. Found it interesting when Nicci Wikked from Slave Raider joined them and they changed to "Strange Sects".

Gemini - or Kruger at least - is still around. Heh...they played my prom in 1990! Lance is in a band with a couple guys from Conditioned Response called "Decibel", Roger is now in "Cain's Alibi" - I'd like to catch them.

How about Brass Kitten? Remember them? Steve is in Kanine Zowie - for 1 more weekend. He's gonna hang it up for awhile. My old roommate played in a side project with Kruger called "The Mothers". My roommate played guitar and Rob played bass and sang! I wish I had made a copy of the demo tapes - it was hilarious!

I saw all these bands back in the day, and I got to meet the Raid when I bartended. Of course that was the early 90's, so they were past their prime. I lived out in SW MN then, so I really never got to see the "big clubs" when they were really happening. But we had a couple good places out our way that saw a lot of action - The Lyndwood in Lynd, The Blitz in Pipestone, and the Showboat in Lake Benton. Along with tons of other nameless ballrooms. Nostalgia...

I hope I can get in touch with Ian. Dan knows him and sees him every now & again (Jackie Ramos too..), so maybe he'll be able to put me in touch with him. That would be cool.

mr426 - what band were you in? I used to go to Sharky's quite a bit. "The pole at Ryans" !!! Funny!! I never could figure that out...

[ February 16, 2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Comment

Hey charvelguy-
                            I bartended at the Lyndwood, and then at a few bars in Marshall - the Gambler, the Chalet, Club 59, and a couple other short-term things I can't recall. But that was in the early to mid-90's. I'm only 31, so you playing was probably a bit before my time bartending. What band were you in?

That place off I-90 was probably The Blitz in Pipestone - it was an old roller-skating rink - but a PERFECT place for bands back in the day. I had my fair share of "incidents" there! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But I usually behaved myself!

Nikki's "real" name is Bruce Hussman - he shared a house with a friend of mine. I'm really surprised he just disappeared from the scene, I wonder why? Probably burn-out and disappointment I suppose. I know that he played one of the Slave Raider Edge-fest reunions (around 98), and got pissed because he couldn't hear himself in the mix on the board tape so he accused Geno of mixing him down and quit. Geno said the board tape didn't sound a bit like what was really happening - you couldn't hear the kick-drum on the tape, but live, it just about killed people! I guess those guys really don't care for eachother much these days. Tish was in TOUCHED for few years, but I guess she got tired of gigging too.

Mike (Happy) went down to Atlanta to play in Sick Speed with Dan Dryden (who was in UKI with him)and a couple of the guys from Stuck Mojo after that group disbanded. They both got tired of Rich Ward and after a couple years, they quit. I know Dan came back, but I haven't seen nor heard anything from Mike. I don't know if either of them are gigging around here or not. Slave Raider hasn't done any reunion stuff lately, so I don't know if Mike's in the cities or not. I've met Mike a few times - seems like a pretty nice guy.

Lance is no longer in BOP - there was an announcement about a month or so ago. He's still one of the most talented singers I've seen, but has always had a HUGE ego. Steve does the "decibel" thing with him - as does PC and the bass player Mike from Conditioned Response. Haven't seen them yet, but I'd like to.

Comment

Hey hey. I was in the band Wheat Penny. We started to get a bit known and get some real money and gigs plus were gonna do our 2nd CD right before we broke up. Ahh the life of a Rock Star. Wow you guys know more about the scean than me. I know all the bands were talking about, just did not know them. I always went on tour or played in other states, so I never got to know anybody. Hey you guys know Jeff Loven? He was one of my teachers at Music tech. He still plays all over. Great guy and player. He also what about the Coup de Grace? those guys were cool. I know they were still together a few years ago, but I think they finally broke up.
                              LATER!!!
                              H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X