Disturbed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disturbed

I don't know if this is in the right place or not,but I'm having a hard time with the verse riff in Disturbed's Remember.

I have the notes, but something is throwing me off big time. This is only my second shot at this style of Music. I'm from the 8o's and don't know crap about all this detuned heavy stuff [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Do any of you have a clue what I'm talking about? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Seriously, I don't think its off time or anything like that, but then again I have no clue.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Disturbed

If knowone has this answered by the time I got home from work tonight, I'll have a listen and see if I can help.

Comment

Is the problem with the timing? The 'melody' seems easy enough... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I believe the bars in the verse would be:

4/4 , 5/8 , 4/4 , 3/4 - and repeat

Comment

So the verse has all those time signatures in it? If that's the case, then that is what is throwing me off. I'm really only used to playing in 4\4.

How does the time sig. change so fast? I don't really understand those either. God I suck [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

if it's any help, the guitar is tuned Drop-D plus a 1/2 step further down.
          every song on prayer is good writing.
          all they need to do now is get a wicked shredder to play some serious solos and to fatten up the rhythym.

Comment

Is this what you ment? Tempo is around 80

1st bar ( 4/4 ) is 4 beats - 8 eighth notes
            2nd bar ( 5/8 ) is 2,5 beats - 5 eighth notes
            3rd bar ( 4/4 ) again 4 beats - 8 eighths
            and 4th ( 3/4 ) 3 beats - 6 eighth notes

and this is played twice

Comment

lotta offbeats but a way-cool song...d.m.
              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Like many Mudvayne songs Ive figured out, some of the timing is only gonna feel natural after you feel it out and play along with the CD. Its wierd how a song can be in an odd time and when you first hear it, your like, "why are they timing that so oddly?", then after getting into the song, its like it couldnt be any other way!

Comment

According to Guitar World (January 2003), the song is 4/4, 8/8, 5/8, 8/8, 6/8, 8/8, 5/8, 8/8, 6/8, 4/4... blah, blah, blah. I'm confused! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

And I thought this was just some easy song that I couldn't play cause I suck [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Now I don't feel so bad.

I think I'll just stick to Prayer, I haven't had any problem with that one. Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

listen, im at work now so there is a chance this is wrong but im pretty sure it isnt.

I dont know very much about time signatures, but listen in a normal song you would count in lots of eight, right? well instead of counting in eight, count to four and then start again from one, so you're conting to four twice instead of to eight. ok?

the verse is in two parts. in a normal song each part would go 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4.
                      all theyve done is messed with the last group of four, by shortening it. So the first bit goes:

1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1

you only count to one in the last group, then you go into the second part:

1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2

this time count to two in the last group before starting again.

from memory, the very first time they go into the prechorus, ("holding on...") they go straight into it, and then everytime they get to that bit again, the break gets a bit longer (the last time they do it theres a silence for the count of 1 2 3 4)

I hope that helps. If I screwed it up someone correct me please.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                        According to Guitar World (January 2003), the song is 4/4, 8/8, 5/8, 8/8, 6/8, 8/8, 5/8, 8/8, 6/8, 4/4
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep this is how it goes.

So, the song starts in 4/4 - intro , 8 bars

Then in the verse it goes to 8/8 instead of 4/4 I posted earlier - same 'feel' as in 4/4 but aren't you supposed to count to 8 (in eighth notes ) in this time sig? This would make more sense as the next bar is...
                        5/8, then again 8/8 and then 6/8 - this is played twice and that's the verse.

Then back to 4/4 - intro riff again.

I don't know how to tell how you should try to learn this, but:

tempo for quarter notes = 82?
                        intro: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 , 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 , 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 , 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 ( counting quarter notes )
                        verse: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8,1-2-3-4-5,1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8,1-2-3-4-5-6 ( tempo stays the same, but you start counting eighths - so tap twice as fast )

You'll have to start doing 'weird' or more difficult rhythmic stuff eventually, so now it's as good a time to start as ever [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ February 13, 2003, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Ael ]

Comment

Working...
                        X