Criss Oliva gear, from someone who knows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criss Oliva gear, from someone who knows

Do any of you guys know what gear Criss specifically used on Edge of Thorns? I love his tone on this album, and I know there are other Sava fans out there...do any of you guys know for sure what he used here? Some of the gear lists on the net are thourough, but not very specific.

Re: Criss Oliva gear, from someone who knows

Well, being a real fan myself of Chris's, I haven't found much about his equipment that helped me. Mostly stuff about Laney amps and in the early days two super overdives together with one units tone all bass the others tone all treble etc. Sorta wild to believe that I think, could be I guess though. It seem that rig wasn't being used for HOTMK and later stuff... At least I seriously doubt it.

Chris Caffery told me he was using Marshall 800s and 900s around the end... Not sure i believe exactly. Chris Oliva always had the amps hidden EVERYTIME I saw them.

Laney solid state amps and Bartolini pickups are the rumor for the Streets,Gutter,EOT era...

He used Laney cab everytime I can remember...

But, I have to say, that Bill has been able to dial up a fairly good late model Chris Oliva sound with a Marshall JMP-1, JFX, and a Marshall 9200 with 6L6 tubes. Bill gets a fair HOTMK, and even closer to the later material. Bill doesn't play the copy stuff like I do, but he can get that sound quite nicely.

Comment

Cool. The only pics I have seen of him live where you can see the amps are from the mid-80s and he appears to be using Marshall JCM 800s, but the model that has more knobs than the more common kind that you see. He was also using a nice San Dimas Charvel strat in those pics too-not only was he an awesome guitarist, he had great taste in guitars too!

Comment

Hey guys , Chris Caffery was talkin' to John and I a few years back. At that time he stated he was using Oliva's Marshall 2250 head which I believe is the 100wt dual channel lead series with reverb model. I owned a couple of those heads and they are my favorite Marshall heads by far...

Yeah My Marshall rack can nail his tone very closely if not exactly....well I'm sure it would if Chris was playing it.. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[ February 03, 2003, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Good call Bill, that's the one I saw. I will try and find a pic and post it.

Comment

Bill it is a 2205 and they are the 50 watters

Comment

Nope he used the 100 wt model ...I guess the 2210 model. Sorry , I know you have the 2205... [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[ February 04, 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I remember seeing a pic of Criss somewhere with a blue archtop Jackson Soloist.
                Also, the back cover of EOT has him holding what appears to be a black (maybe blue?) Soloist with what appears to be a faint older Jackson "Don't Smoke" skull graphic. And there's a white, one-hum toothpaste logo Charvel inside the cd for Streets, A Rock Opera.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Bill, don'tchya wish we'd have kept some of those 22XX series we've had over the years...

Bleh... Even Opeth is using them today, haha...

Comment

Value wise yes and a good sounding head is always cool to have.....but I sold both those MINT 2210's and my blackend soul for my Marshall rack ...because it sounds better [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Bill, What settings do you use on the JMP1 for a Criss Oliva sound?

I don't think Criss liked Bartolini pickups much. He only had one guitar with the pickups in it.

Comment

but I sold both those MINT 2210's and my blackend soul for my Marshall rack ...because
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're tone deaf!!

Comment

Well I guess you were "Tone Deaf" Too... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

P.S. After twenty five years of tweaking vigorously.........John is still searching for tonal bliss . Will he ever find it ??.....Someday...just maybe someday... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW ...Materofsolos to answer your question my "Oliva sound" is as follows:

JMP 1 ..Volume 18 / Gain 16 / Bass +6 / Mid -6 / Treble +6 / presence +3-6 / effects +8.......

....JFX 1 set to a usaual Van Halen slapback with just one repeat ....that's it!!!

Have fun

Later

Bill Z / Evilution

[ February 10, 2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

Comment

Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh Yeah I forgot .........OD2 ...bass shift ON

Comment

Working...
                              X