KATAKLYSM from Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KATAKLYSM from Canada

Does anyone know what Jean-Francois Dagenais is using for amps???

That is one freaking brutal rhythm sound...

Man, I hope someone knows this..

Re: KATAKLYSM from Canada

I'd like to know too...

NP: Kataklysm - Epic (The Poetry of War)

Comment

I heard what I think was the title track from their new Shadows & Dust CD, and the low E grind was VERY cool sounding... Very Brutal grind sound... Prolly a freaking MESA or something unpleasant. DOH!!!

Comment

LOL! If I find out what they use and it isn't boutique, I'll be sure not to tell ya John [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Haha, it's prolly a 5150 or MESA something... no one uses good stuff in those circles man...

I don't care what it is, I must know... hehe

Comment

Downloaded the tune you were talking about, that's one helluva brutal guitar tone, I love it! Bet they don't get anywhere near this sound live though...Well I'm going to go on my quest for live Kataklysm pics now, lol! I'll report back if I find anything [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

http://www.angelfire.com/band/kataklysm/photo.html

Their site is super outdated, but there's some pics, I see Marshalls....? But they're probably using the headlining bands gear or something, because this Shadows & Dust album sounds heavier than anything any Marshall I've ever heard could achieve...

*EDIT* Took a closer look, there appears to be a Laney head and something with a metal grill(Mesa/Triple XXX?) on those stacks too...

[ January 27, 2003, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: DumpyWumpy ]

Comment

I saw them live a few years ago with Children of Bodom and Destruction... But the thing about most metal shows is that there is usually only one set of amps and cabs that all the bands use (especially if the band is coming up to Canada from the U.S. and getting the equipment through customs is a *****). That was the case at the recent Blind Guardian concert, and the Gamma Ray concert the day after (they used the same rented Marshall JCM900's as Blind Guardian). Kataklysm's sound probably comes from effect pedals, rack effects, or really really good pickups... That's the case with Quo Vadis too.

Comment

I just downloaded "In Shadows And Dust" and I completely concur on the thick beefy rhythm tone. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Shadows and Dust is a great album...really really tight band.
                    I jsut have a burn, but i hope to pick it up soon.

Comment

I'm not blown away by the band so much. But, I am digging that low E grind he's got... Sounds like it's solid statish... Seems that the way I've been getting that tight attack. I use teh CAE for 90% and the Sansamp PSA-1 for that low grind. It's just not quite chunky enough though...

I'll be talking with the guy on June 13-14 at the BWBK 6pack tour here.

Guess I'll find out then... If he's cool...

[ January 27, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

Destruction beats the piss out of Kataklysm in every way imaginable . I had the last 3 Kataklysm cds and thought they were a bit lame musically although their tone is thick and heavy!! Amon Amarth , same thing with them . Cool agressive tones with limp brutality and song writing.

BTW OPETH is using stock 50 wt Marshall DSLs... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Just saw their show and they sounded great!!!!! I had a 100wt. DSL and couldn't find the damn amp usable for my style and I write very similiar riffs in vein of Opeth Arch Enemy / Cradle of Filth and Coroner...get the opicture. Speed picking articulation with the DSL is WAAAYYY to Saggy... I don't get it.. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

The Kataklysm tone sounds like a Boss Metal Zone to my ears

[ January 28, 2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

BTW OPETH is using stock 50 wt Marshall DSLs... Just saw their show and they sounded great!!!!! I had a 100wt. DSL and couldn't find the damn amp usable
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Because the sound is in your hands Bill,(you told me that!!) well, maybe not yours though!!! hahah...

The Kataklysm tone sounds like a Boss Metal Zone to my ears
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You just need get the mod done to your JMP-1 and you'll be fine...

Comment

Yeah I wonder if mark could tweak with my "fart" knob ...so it'll be a little fartier!!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
                              BTW OPETH is using stock 50 wt Marshall DSLs... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Just saw their show and they sounded great!!!!! I had a 100wt. DSL and couldn't find the damn amp usable for my style and I write very similiar riffs in vein of Opeth Arch Enemy / Cradle of Filth and Coroner...get the opicture. Speed picking articulation with the DSL is WAAAYYY to Saggy... I don't get it.. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Opeth guys use Boss GT-3's or something similar... that might make the difference. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              I'll see them on Feb 28th. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Working...
                              X