I'm starting a new MONTHLY post here...read on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm starting a new MONTHLY post here...read on

Hey gang, I thought of another f'in brilliant idea!! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm gonna start a post here in this spot of NEW bands you've discovered, you're currently listening to, or just worth giving a listen to.

Gang...keep this to new bands, underground bands, etc...Just really cool metal/hardcore/death/grind/etc...
    This will expose JCFers to all the cool underground sh*t that's out there, but haven't heard, or heard OF yet.

Starting my list for this post is:
    1. Dead To Fall-"Everything I Touch Falls To Pieces"
    (Deathcore from MI...bloody awesome!...hints of old Carcass in there!)
    2. Embodyment- "The Narrow Scope Of Things"
    3. Unearth- "Endless-EP" (these guys are my buds, so I gotta send props to them)
    4.Zao- "All Else Failed" (groove core)
    5.Demonhunter- "Self Titled" (more deathcore)

you can find all these bands on MP3.com
    All highly recommended! Check 'em out!
    HEAVY SH*T!!!!

Re: I\'m starting a new MONTHLY post here...read on

Does it have to be metal/hardcore/death/grind? This is a cool idea, but why limit it to one type of music? I like bands that play those styles, but I like lots of other music too and I'm sure other people on the forum do as well. I'll be sure to check out those bands you listed though.

Comment

Hey Boxcar,

I thought someone might mention that I'm keeping it kinda limited to thses styles, but that's most of the stuff that's underground, and not heard of as frequently. Basically...any kind of (extreme) metal in general (ie; death/deathcore/grind/black/power metal/etc...) I know there's a lot of people here that like a lot of different things, and tastes on things run a very wide scope, but I personally would like to hear of others I might be missing out on. This just so happenes to be the genre(s) I'm most interested in. But feel free to add anything you feel might be worth giving a listen to.

~Ken

Comment

How underground or new are you asking for, Ken?

Have you guys heard of Dungeon? I don't know how much OS exposure they receive, although I have seen reviews of their last couple of albums online, so there are some folks outside Oz aware of them. They've released 4 or 5 albums so they don't qualify as "new", but I've never seen anyone mention them around here and figured they might have slipped under people's radar.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Gary,
          That's exactly what I'm looking for! Bands that "may have slipped under the radar".
          Just new, or maybe not so new (in the case of Dungeon). Just looking for input on really cool stuff to be on the lookout for and basically compact it into one thread (here).

Thanks...I'll be checking out Dungeon!
          ~Ken

Comment

On the opposite side of the world ffrom blast beats and growling, you have doom. Not wussy-ass pseudo doom like Lacuna Coil and ****. Check out pretty much the entire lineup on Southern Lord records. Khanate, Sunno))), Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine, Burning Witch, and Warhorse. Of those, Warhorse might be the easiest to get into so check them out before the other stuff. Otherwise you might go insane.

Comment

Do check out Lost Horizon for some really good heavy/power-metal à la Manowar (but more technical). I love their debut album and the second one is due in a few weeks.

Unfortunately they don't play Jackson guitars, only Washburn and Ibanez, but how they can play!
              [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

In the European metal scene there is a lot of talk about Hammerfall, but these guys are way better IMO.

'bane

Comment

Cool idea for a post! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I've actually just recently "discovered" Hammerfall and I'm pretty impressed already!
                But maybe Lost Horizon would be worth checking out then!

I've also been listening to a lot of Suidakra and Quo Vadis lately.

Suidakra is a German band with celtic/medieval/folklore musical themes. Their older stuff is very black metalish, but their more recent albums are a nice combination of black with death and classic heavy metal. A nice percentage of their songs are acoustic or have acoustic/folk passages in them too. Half the songs have black/death vocals and the other half have clean vocals. This is probably my favorite band as of right now alongside Iron Maiden, probably because they combine so many things together, it's perfect for me. Their site www.suidakra.com has free mp3 downloads. I believe the guitarist who left used to play Jackson guitars and the bassist also plays a Jackson RR1 at times, but lately I think they've been using Ibanez guitars and Steinberger basses.

Quo Vadis... I don't really know how to describe their style, but there's dirty vocals and a lot of classic heavy metal inspired riffs performed using Jackson guitars. They're from Quebec, Canada. quovadis.qc.ca

As for more "mainstream" stuff I've been listening to lately, I've got Iron Maiden, In Flames, Judas Priest ("Rocka Rolla" and "Sad Wings Of Destiny" two disc set I found, called "Genocide"), Halford, Arch Enemy, and Iced Earth.

Comment

Lost Horizon and Hammerfall are two swedish bands! I like Lost Horizon, but I can't stand Hammerfall! Actually I think the're awful! But it's all about personal preference!

Check out Lost Horizon! Good band! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Anders
                  https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

It would also be nice when posting these bands that you let us know what genre they're in (Black, Death, etc etc) as some of us cannot stand grunting/growling/screeching/rapping [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Give me someone with a melodic voice like Halford, Dickinson, Dio, etc over driving rhythms and solos that are more than just speed [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

How about a thread for older bands that were good but fell by the wayside in the shadows of Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, Metallica, Megadeth, etc etc - Sword were pretty good, I thought. Saxon always had second-place rank against Maiden/Priest, but they were still good, just not as well-known - kinda like Tiumph had to take 2nd place to Rush as they were "Canada's 3-piece Rock band" at the time.

But then, being this is "Artists and their Gear", should we focus on the bands that use Jacksons? It'd be a small list, I know, compared to the list of bands that use Jackson AND ESP/Ibenhad/etc, but maybe we should do something about helping to promote Jackson endorsees?
                    Who's that guy with the glow-in-the-dark facepaint?

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Man there are some old times here. I saw Saxon 3 times. They were kickass. I saw them once with a crowd of about 100 because the major venue was cancelled so the played at a college. I saw Triumph too Allied Forces tour Rik Emmett smoked, more explosions than any show I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                        On the opposite side of the world ffrom blast beats and growling, you have doom. Not wussy-ass pseudo doom like Lacuna Coil and ****. Check out pretty much the entire lineup on Southern Lord records. Khanate, Sunno))), Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine, Burning Witch, and Warhorse. Of those, Warhorse might be the easiest to get into so check them out before the other stuff. Otherwise you might go insane.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah Khanate and Warhorse are great!

Grief is pretty good aswell

Comment

Newc, good idea about stating genre. So I'll let yas know - Dungeon is a Power Metal band, heavy Iron Maiden influence, clean vox.

Is the guy with the glow-in-the-dark face paint that your thinking of Jackson endorser, Ric Eubank from Face Down? Ric's user name on the old JCF was tungus
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah the guy in the front page pics on the Fackson page that alternates from Her Worshipness Briana Banks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                            I think he's supposed to be in the new catalog as well?

Thanks for the tip on Dungeon [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc,
                              The guy you're thinking of is Rik Eubank from FACEDOWN

They're kinda industrial/metal sounding...pretty good stuff if you're into that.

Rik has posted here on a very few occasions.

Good stuff to check out! Thanks!
                              Newc...Hammerfall is something you'd most likely be into. Very 80's Priest/Maiden/Etc... sounding.

OH!...and any Carcass fans in here...check out the first band up in my list DEAD TO FALL -They kinda remind me of what Carcass would've sounded like if they incorperated hardcore into the mix. The singer even sounds somewhat like Jeff Walker!

[ January 26, 2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: WarriorX7 ]

Comment

Working...
                              X