Uli Roth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uli Roth

Any suggestions on good Uli Roth stuff? I know he was with the Scorpions, but which records? Also, suggestions on solo stuff that is worth while.

Re: Uli Roth

with Scorpions, I'd say "Taken By Force", "Virgin Killer", and "Tokyo Tapes". Solo stuff? Try Earthquake and Beyon The Astral Skies. If you have a machine that will allow you to remove Uli's lead vocals - USE IT! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    He can't sing at all, I mean he's really bad; but his playing is GODLIKE. Very fluid, great timing, and a beautiful tone. If Uli can't move you, no one can.
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I would start with Virgin Killer or In Trance or one of the best live recordings around Tokyo Tapes! Once you hear Speedy's Coming (off of Virgin Killer) you will know why Uli Roth is the man! I feel anything that Uli played on is great, although it takes a while to get used to his vocals!

[ January 23, 2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Ebbflow ]

Comment

His solos in "Catch your Train" / Sails of Sharon / Still So many Lives Away / are untouchable. The early Scorp cds are essential.

I REALLY enjoy Uli Jon Roth's "Transcendental Sky Guitar "....It was recorded a couple of years ago and still shows that he hasn't lost a thing over the years....Great Stuff
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Amen brutha! I remember the first time I heard "Sails of Sharon"...that intro solo stunned me! That was shred before shred was even a term... [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] It's amazing that he's so overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebbflow:
            I would start with Virgin Killer or In Trance or one of the best live recordings around Tokyo Tapes! Once you hear Catch Your Train (off of Virgin Killer) you will know why Uli Roth is the man! I feel anything that Uli played on is great, although it takes a while to get used to his vocals!
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Update: Live version of "We'll Burn the Sky" is INCREDIBLE!

[ January 23, 2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Ebbflow ]

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B:
              with Scorpions, I'd say "Taken By Force", "Virgin Killer", and "Tokyo Tapes". Solo stuff? Try Earthquake and Beyon The Astral Skies. If you have a machine that will allow you to remove Uli's lead vocals - USE IT! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              He can't sing at all, I mean he's really bad; but his playing is GODLIKE. Very fluid, great timing, and a beautiful tone. If Uli can't move you, no one can.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">All of the above, but Firewind is my favorite! No filler there!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ebbflow:
                I would start with Virgin Killer or In Trance or one of the best live recordings around Tokyo Tapes! Once you hear Speedy's Coming (off of Virgin Killer) you will know why Uli Roth is the man! I feel anything that Uli played on is great, although it takes a while to get used to his vocals!
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">"Speedy's Coming" is on Fly To The Rainbow, not Virgin Killer. I think Uli's vocals are a cross between Bob Dylan and Bullwinkle the Moose, though!
                Sorry Uli! Your playing rules, but...
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I DL'd "Speedy's coming" and "Sails of Charon". The playing is very good on both, but I definitely prefer "Sails of Charon". Kinda reminds me of Blackmore, but more European. Definitely some cool early shredding!

Comment

I'd go with "Beyond the Astral Skies" or "Transcendental Sky Guitar" rather than the Scorpions stuff--his playing in the Scorpions was great, but I find a lot of those songs to be really mediocre.

Personally, I'd try "Transcendental Sky Guitar" first--none of his singing! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X