jon schafer pre- larry grohmann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jon schafer pre- larry grohmann

Anybody got an idea of what da man was using before he hooked up with the Grohmanator? And I was wondering...during which album did he make the switch to the larry Grohman amps?

Re: jon schafer pre- larry grohmann

i think he used marshallsall the way up to NOTS . here is his current equipment This is straight from john himself
    What gear do I use?
    Well, my set-up is pretty simple really. I use a custom made Larry amp with 2
    straight Marshall 1960 lead series cabinets with 75 watt Celestions. The amp
    was hand made and customized for my playing style and tonal needs. Larry only
    makes around 10 to 12 amps a year and the waiting list is very long and they
    are very expensive. They are however absolute pieces of art electronically.
    Larry has no desire to become a large company so getting an amp is not easy.
    Your best bet is to try and meet him at a trade show in Europe if you are
    serious about having one built. My guitar of choice is and has always been a
    Gibson Les Paul. Since my neck surgery however, I don't play mine as much as
    I used to due to the weight of the guitar. Every Iced Earth recording has
    been done with a Gibson of some make except Alive in Athens which was a BC
    Rich Ignitor. Even the "Enter the Realm" demo was recorded with an old
    Explorer of mine. I used the Gibson Gothic Explorer on Demons and Wizards and
    on Horror Show for most of the rhythm tracks. I did use the Gothic 135 and
    335 and my Black Beauty on some tracks as well. Also, I used the Gothic V and
    a few different SG's through a Soldano for the lead guitar melodies on those
    records. For recording clean parts in the studio I almost always use a Fender
    Stratocaster. I love the clean "buzzy" tone that only a Strat can get.
    Depending on the live set up situation, I may use a Roland Jazz Chorus as a
    clean rig to A\B between. If we are on a support tour or doing festivals I've
    found the simpler the set up the smoother things run so on those occasions I
    use the clean channel on my Larry amp and have the front of house engineer
    chorus the clean guitar. I don't use any rack effects at all, just a wireless
    and a tuner.
    My favorite acoustic guitars are without a doubt Taylor. I have a 12 and 6
    string that I use quite often.
    That's basically it for gear. I believe less is more when it comes to a
    guitar rig. I do not recommend rack units and processors for recording. They
    sound like ****. If you want power you need a powerful tube amp. Often those
    processors sound like an "attack of the killer mosquitoes" instead of a
    guitar. Tube power is the only way for me.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Working...
    X