Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilkinson locking tuners at Guitarfetish.com - direct replacement for Jacksons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilkinson locking tuners at Guitarfetish.com - direct replacement for Jacksons?

I'm looking for locking tuners that don't require any modifcation, as one of my Concepts suffered a headstock crack a few years ago that makes me reluctant to do any additional drilling or routing. The Wilkinson tuners at www.guitarfetish.com are very tempting, but I'm curious if anyone has tried them yet. The price is right, but direct replacements are what I seek!

http://store.guitarfetish.com/wiezlotubl6i.html
    sigpic

Those should bolt right in. Wilkinson licensed their name out to Jin Ho, who makes these in Korea - the same company that makes all the tuners for the import Jacksons...
    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Inazone, I just got some of these to install on a cheapo strat copy. I will try to remember to see if they fit on one of my charvels tonite and post the results. They look like the standard dimensions that all my guitar tuners have. You could also email Jay at GFS. I asked them the size of the hole required for the tuners before I received them, and got a prompt reply.

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1
        Those should bolt right in. Wilkinson licensed their name out to Jin Ho, who makes these in Korea - the same company that makes all the tuners for the import Jacksons...
        Most of the import tuners Jackson uses are Japanese. Which models are getting the Korean ones? Someone else on here posted about having Korean tuners on his Jackson, yet the Jackson marketing guy says they only use Japanese tuners.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Anyone know the dimensions of stock Jackson tuners off-hand?
          sigpic

Comment

Which dimensions are you looking for??

the Wilkinson locking tuners from Guitarfetish fit perfectly on my Charvel Fusion that has Jackson tuners. The only difference is the string holes on the Wilkinson. One hole is above and one below, where the jackson hole is. Putting the string thru the bottom hole should give a better angle over the nut in most cases. The Jackson's were 16:1, Wilkinson 15:1. The chrome plating on mine look pretty nice. They say made in Korea JNHO

Guitarfetish also sells on Ebay so, you may get a slightly better deal there.

I think most electric guitar tuners are the same dimensions but, i aint no expert. some guitars have the screw in different locations, and old Fenders have a smaller hole thru the head, (and there are probably tons of more obscure sizes) I think the Warmoth site has some dimensions of popular tuners.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
              Most of the import tuners Jackson uses are Japanese. Which models are getting the Korean ones? Someone else on here posted about having Korean tuners on his Jackson, yet the Jackson marketing guy says they only use Japanese tuners.
              Hmmm...have my doubts on Japanese tuners. No worries, they are still a well-made tuner that keeps the string plenty taught. My DR-7, DX-7, Model 2 and 4 - all Jin Ho, with either the Charvel or Jackson silkscreened onto the dustcap. I did buy all them on ebay, so unless there is an "mad ebay tuner swapping conspirist" out there, me thinks that they've been using the Korean ones.

BTW, import guitar headstock holes should be 10mm, domestic (I'm guessing here) should be 3/8"...practically the same...
              Last edited by missionguitars1; 09-14-2006, 12:16 AM.
              Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

The 3/8" post was the measurement I was looking for. Jay emailed me back and said that's what the Wilks are. Guess I'll order a set and see how they work out!
                sigpic

Comment

Inazone, i realized yesterday that the tuners i received were the oval shaped part that you turn. They were the locking type but looked like this:
                  http://store.guitarfetish.com/chsusmgost14.html
                  Though I ordered the shape in your link.
                  http://store.guitarfetish.com/wiezlotu6inf.html
                  Similar to the Jackson tuners I have. You might want to confirm which shape they are sending you if that matters to you
                  Last edited by maxboost; 09-15-2006, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X