Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of going passive? duncan or dimarzio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of going passive? duncan or dimarzio?

I like the emgs but to me they seem kind of "too perfect" or something?
    what i mean is that they have power,drive,clarity and are real quiet BUT i am finding that lack any real soul?
    like a JB or a paf has that real soulful lead tone and a good crunchin rhythm tone
    and the tone zone has a real fat,syrupy lead tone and it still has soul(read as character) and the emgs seem to lack naturalness? they sound real electronic to me?
    the 81 is a monster but it only does one thing,even though it does it real well
    i really dont like its lead tone and i tried the 85 in the bridge and that was only slightly better

so would the duncans or the dimarzio be best for the most natural tone with a real good lead voice?
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Originally posted by savage
    I like the emgs but to me they seem kind of "too perfect" or something?
    what i mean is that they have power,drive,clarity and are real quiet BUT i am finding that lack any real soul?
    like a JB or a paf has that real soulful lead tone and a good crunchin rhythm tone
    and the tone zone has a real fat,syrupy lead tone and it still has soul(read as character) and the emgs seem to lack naturalness? they sound real electronic to me?
    the 81 is a monster but it only does one thing,even though it does it real well
    i really dont like its lead tone and i tried the 85 in the bridge and that was only slightly better

so would the duncans or the dimarzio be best for the most natural tone with a real good lead voice?
    I like the Dimarzio Super Distortion personally. I also like the Duncan Distortion. Both suit me pretty well. Of course you have to decide based on the type of sound you are looking for. What kind of music do you play...that sort of thing. But considering you use an EMG now, maybe the Dimarzio or Duncan Distortion would do the trick. Also the Duncan JB is pretty hot sounding too.
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

Comment

Never tried the Duncan Distortion, hated the JB, love the Custom, thought the Custom 5 was decent but a little too scooped in the mids. I really like the Jazz and '59 models, as well as the Pearly Gates and Pearly Gates Plus.

Overall, I prefer DiMarzios, love the regular DiMarzio Super Distortions as well as Super 2s and X2Ns and Tone Zones.
      I'm also a huge EMG fan and usually prefer the 85 in the bridge with a 60 or 81 in the neck.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
      X