Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh Oh....Floyd Bridge is Uneven

I installed and ESP arming adjuster.

Instead of removing the middle spring, I moved it over to the low string side and have 2 springs on the low string side, one on the high string side and the arming adjuster in the middle.

I leveled my strings and found on the high string side the Floyd edge sits above the body and on the low string side it is even with the body.

The strings are perfect heigth but the Floyd is now uneven which means the strings must be a little out of whack with the radius of the fingerboard.

I am going to remove the second spring on the low string side to see if this takes care of the problem but does anybody have an idea if this is the problem?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

I'm willing to bet it was like this even before you installed the ESP thingy, but that you just never noticed it. If it did indeed change, then the trem isn't sitting correctly on the posts, or the base plate itself is warping from the pressure (which I don't find very likely).

If you must have it 100% even, simply adjust the trem posts - but then you're also going to change the string action.

Comment

How would the springs affect how level the bridge is? The bridge knife edges sits on the posts. The post height is the only thing that affects the levelness of the bridge.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

More pressure on one side of the baseplate will pull it more to that side, causing it to ride higher against the post..
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The treble side of my Floyd is lower to the body than the bass side, but that's just because I've lowered the post on that side.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc
            More pressure on one side of the baseplate will pull it more to that side, causing it to ride higher against the post..
            Yeah I think its something like that. Guess I will first pull one of the springs out and see what happens.

I have seen them installed the same way I have them in Ibanez Guitars - where there are 2 springs on the base side but I never heard if there was a problem with the level of the floating trem.

I wanted more tension on the strings via more springs so that is why I decided to use 3 but there is no way to get the third spring in the middle with the arming adjuster in there - it barely fits the way it is now.
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I'll bet when you had the trem off you some how unknowingly moved the guitar in a manner to cause this.
              Just adj the trem post to make them even.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If the trem really does ride higher on one of the posts, then I would suggest you try and remedy that right away. The knife edge should sit right in the notch on the trem post. If it doesn't, I'd imagine it would cause uneven wear and/or stability issues.

Comment

I never completely removed the trem. Only changed the location of one of the springs to the low string side to make room for the arming adjuster.

It was only after everything was done and I was adjusting the bridge height to get the spacing I like between the strings and neck that I noticed the uneven bridge.

I will have time this weekend to mess with it. I am going to pull one of the springs out first and readjust everything. If that does not work then I am going to have to take out the arming adjuster and put the spring back in to make sure nothing is fundamentally wrong.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

??I'm confused by this. The trem knife edges, are they in the center of the groove of the posts? I put my Arming adjuster off center and it was fine however, I later put it in the middle just in case. But the trem arm pulls the trem up or down from one side of the baseplate without a problem. so spring pressure to one side should be fine too.IMO
                    Lots of pics if you search at jemsite.com. Or email Budd he'd be happy to help you. He travels alot for his work but, he should get back to you quickly

Comment

Working...
                    X