No announcement yet.

planing fingerboard for larger radius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planing fingerboard for larger radius?

I love the sound of my USA Fender Double Fat Strat Hardtail, but not so much the 9.5" radius. I tune it down a half-step, and at least twice a year I've got to adjust the truss rod due to climate changes, and the low E string intonates a little bit sharp and I can't move the saddle back any further. The higher action drives me nuts most of the time, and I can't keep it too low without fretting out on the higher frets. How cost effective would it be to have the fingerboard planed to a bigger radius? 12" like a Les Paul would be cool, or maybe even a compound radius. It's a rosewood board with medium jumbo frets, and the frets are fine with me, but maybe jumbo would help? Maybe I should have the frets Plek'd?
    http://www.plek.com/index.php?master=FAQ's&rubID=19&sprache=#a2

I don't really want to get a replacement neck, but maybe that would be my best bet. Opinions?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

if the frets are really tall, you can have the radius of the frets flattened while the fingerboard is left alone - but on a guitar like that, I'd get a replacement neck with a flatter radius, personally. By the time you paid someone to replace the frets or a plek job, you'd have paid the price for a new neck imho. With the intonation issues, I'd be curious if the bridge is in the wrong place or the neck is goofy. Replacing the neck MAY fix that problem too.

Pete

Comment

I agree with Pete, Joe. I'm sure you could even sell the original neck on the bay and recoup much of the cost of a new one. Check Warmoths' closeout specials, they have some nice strat necks on sale right now for under 250, which includes your choice of fret sizes and tuner holes. Granted, they are 10-16 compound radius, but that will feel much better than the straight 9.5.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, guys!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

No problem. Now will you get these floors swept....this place is a mess.
          (see classifieds)
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Fender fretboards are thin to begin with, and those flatsawn maple necks are already wet noodles.... but you could just pull frets and re radius the existing board.... loosing more of that already thin board will make the noodle neck even more flimsy.... but it's do able.

Comment

Working...
            X