Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intonation hint for those who drop tune.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation hint for those who drop tune.

Some of you may already be on to this little trick, but for those who aren't, here it is.

We all know how difficult it is to tune your bottom string when in drop tunings, especially in a particularly low tuning. The 6th sting tends to play sharp when first struck, so in order to sound in-tune when playing an aggressive chugging part for example, you have to compromise and tune the string a tad flat. Unfortunately, this creates a problem with playing barred power chords on higher frets. You end up with the 6th string out of tune because it is tuned flat, and doesn't go sharp so badly on higher frets.

My solution to this problem, is to "under-intonate" the 6th string. When intonating a guitar normally, you want the 12th fret harmonic to be in tune with the 12th fretted note. In this case, you will intentionally intonate the 6th string so that the fretted note is a tad sharp. This cancels out the flat 6th string when playing on higher frets, and still allows you to tune the string slightly flat to allow for the string ringing sharp. I will intonate the string correctly, and then move the saddle forward a couple of turns of the adjustment screw.

Try it, it works.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Cool hint - I'll give that a go!
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thats a great idea. I have to try it with my sevenstring. Thanks man!

Comment

I agree that it works, but I feel that using the proper string guage (I.e. a guage that has a tension downtuned near identical to that of what you use in standard) is a much more professional solution

Comment

Working...
        X