"The " sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The " sound

You know how tight, crisp and HUGE the guitars on the black album sound? What gives one such perfect overdrive/distortion? I am in eternal cosmic love with the sounds of the Black Album, more so than the tunes, classic as they may be. I have been playing for 9 years, so I am well aware that 50% of it is in the pickers hands, but what makes makes it "sound" so good beyond a high gain boogie type amp, essentially some 6L6's and probably 5 12ax7's, is it the studio, no cuz they have that clarity live as well, is it a fuking sonic maximizer? Is it a certain freq? a well placed mic? EMG 81's!? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just thinking out loud.

Re: "The " sound

mastering, and a $1,000,000 studio will getcha started.

Comment

You are talking about the "black" Spinal Tap album, right? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Big bottoms, big bottoms, talk about mudflaps, my girls got 'em.... [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        Hail yesterday

Comment

hehe [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Good God Man, Thats it! Turn it up to 11!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

SMELL THE GLOVE!!!

Working on a Sex Farm, Trying to raise some Hard Love [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

DON'T Even look at that one!

Yea but this one goes to 11!

Comment

Well, all the things mentioned, plus the Soldano X88Rs, the vintage Marshalls, the Bogner Fish preamps, the ADA MP-1s, MQ-1s, Mesa/Boogie Strategy 400 power amps, Mark II C+s, Mark IVs, Aphex parametric eqs, and so on, the wall of various speaker cabinets, and a huge selection of guitars and other amps. Not to mention, being James Hetfield doesn't hurt.

Comment

Seriouly, try a Sonic Maximizer. It will give you a lot of that Clarity that you want. Few people don't like them. Try it.
                    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Lick my love pump

Oops! Did I say that out loud? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

nah, i dont know about the picking part...i dont believe that at all when it gets stated i mean, come on, ill suck my dick if metallica could make my rage 158 sound like a mark IV just through their picking/technique [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ..its ALL in the amps...they used a ****load of eq on the black album, hotrodded marshalls and mark IVs [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                        cheers

[ December 17, 2002, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Alexi7 ]

Comment

Oh brother... you CAN'T be serious can you? "It's all in the amps". [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I bet Jamz could make your "Rage 158" sound pretty close to himself. I just want his attack, crunch, and clarity.

Well it one louder then, isn't it?

These go to 11!

Comment

$$$$$ helps. AIC-DIRT....now thats a killer sound & live he pulled it off with a FISH into an intelleflex into a MOSVALVE 500...yes a solidstate.

Comment

Working...
                              X