Duncan or Dimarzio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan or Dimarzio

I cant decide on a new bridge pup so i want some input from you guys that have had experience with the pups im concidering. The guitar is a warrior at the moment it has a JB in the bridge & a Jazz in the neck. Im finding the JB a little too weak at the moment it just doesnt have the balls to do full on death metal. right heres the short list.

1.Evolution
    2.Dimebucker
    3.X2N
    4.Duncan Distortion

Im using a 6505 head with a Marshall 1936V cab if thats any help

Dimebucker will cope with 6505 heads gain I suppose.
    Peavey Wolfgang
    Gibson Les Paul
    Zakk Wylde Buzzsaw Les Paul
    Line 6 Spider 2 12"

Comment

How would a super high output pickup "cope" better with a 5150 (6505, whatever! haha)

Imo even if you still want a Distortion class 'bucker, from what I've heard the Super 3 sounds like a good choice.

Comment

Evo or Evo2, Original Evo has slightly higher output than the new evo2

all my jacksons are loaded with Evo's
        My music:
        www.leonlive.co.uk

Comment

Well with a high gain amp like the 6505. If you put too much juice into the front end with too high an output pup and you have the gain set high yoo'll just get a muddy sound with not alot of clearity. If you still want high gain and clearity use a lower output pup or an active pup like an EMG. If you dont like EMGs or want to stay passive then a lower output pup should give you the clearity for leads and single note stuff. Plus the distortion required for high gain rythm. The JB would be my choice for that but you say it doesn have alot of output. Maybe thiers something wrong with the pickup its self or a wire came off. The JB is a distortion class pup but still doesnt mud out with high gain. The Distortion is hotter still but can get muddy with too much gain. and doesnt always get clean in a certain high gain amps at performance level.
          Gil

Comment

Just get the X2N, I have installed in the bridge and it is a great pickup w/ a lot of output. And it can do death metal, which i presume you are looking for.
            Gear--- 2005 ESP LTD Dave Mustaine Axxion
            Roland Micro Cube

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK
              Well with a high gain amp like the 6505. If you put too much juice into the front end with too high an output pup and you have the gain set high yoo'll just get a muddy sound with not alot of clearity. If you still want high gain and clearity use a lower output pup or an active pup like an EMG.
              I agree. I'd use a DiMarzio X2N or EMG 81 for death metal. BTW, the word is clarity, not clearity. Distortion class pups were made to push the front end of lower gain amps back in the day, so you'll have to back the gain off a bit on today's high gain amps or keep the pup a little lower.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dimarzio Super Distortion, you can't go wrong.

Comment

I worked on a brand new DK2m Sat with the same pickups the JB seemed thin but the jazz kicked ass.I adjusted the height to bring up the bass side of the JB closer to the strings this balanced the vol between the pickups.Then adjusted each pole piece on the JB to get each note to "bloom" or hang. Once the Jb sang properly it sounded airy and full.Then it handeled trashing quite nicely.
                  All of the tweaks were done on an Orange 100 watt head and 4x12 cab.We tested high gain and low gain for tone and were impressed.4 people with 4 different styles ran it thru it paces and I mean no holds barred and it sounded awesome.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

i like the Duncan Distortion. yes its hotter than a JB but the ceramic magnet sounds better than the JB's Alnico (IMO...same pickup, different magnet and the Distortion destroys the JB). high gain is no problem...and on a 5150, i dont think you should ever need to run the gain higher than 5, and i regularly have it on 4 for any metal stuff...and i ran it that way with all the pickups ive had (stock PRS, EMG's, Duncans, including the JB and JB Jr.).

just because a pickup is hotter and can push the input more DOESNT mean that you shouldnt use it and that it will be muddy. most of the time people prefer the tone of a ceramic humbucker (like me) to a lower output Alnico or what have you. as long as you EQ it correctly (dont scoop the mids and dont boost the bass to insane levels) or run the gain too high, you can avoid any mud you may think you would get. and yes, ive run the Distortion at high volumes as well (5 or more on the volume of my 5150). it does not mush out or get muddy. keep the resonance and bass low (i have my bass on 4-5 and resonance on 3-4).

just my opinion though.
                    My metal band Lucian Scott
                    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                    Available Now!
                    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Too many knobs on a 5150.Great amp but only good for one thing..... gain.

Comment

Well from what ive heard on the web i think i will go with the X2N the main reason is that im a huge Chuck schuldiner fan & he used one on some of the best Death albums released. I was considering the dimebucker but my lovely misses has agreed that i can have for this year £2000 to spend on gear so 1st thing im getting is the Dean Dime From Hell which has the excellent Bill Lawrence 500XL in the bridge which i think is way better than the dimebucker in that type of guitar. Would have loved to get hold of the Washburn Dime 2ST i think its much more of a better shape than those stupid razorbacks. hey i'll tell you what i am having difficulty with. Ive been looking for a good Rack EQ any suggestions? I was going to get the Alesis 30 Band or maybe a peavey what ya think? There will be plenty of £££ left over too so give me some ideas on great gear guys. No more jacksons though LOL i have 3

Comment

Thats a great wife there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevermore
                            Well from what ive heard on the web i think i will go with the X2N the main reason is that im a huge Chuck schuldiner fan & he used one on some of the best Death albums released. I was considering the dimebucker but my lovely misses has agreed that i can have for this year £2000 to spend on gear so 1st thing im getting is the Dean Dime From Hell which has the excellent Bill Lawrence 500XL in the bridge which i think is way better than the dimebucker in that type of guitar. Would have loved to get hold of the Washburn Dime 2ST i think its much more of a better shape than those stupid razorbacks. hey i'll tell you what i am having difficulty with. Ive been looking for a good Rack EQ any suggestions? I was going to get the Alesis 30 Band or maybe a peavey what ya think? There will be plenty of £££ left over too so give me some ideas on great gear guys. No more jacksons though LOL i have 3
                            Word of caution, watch out for the DFH imports, they're China made... The quality may well be good and all, but I won't pay $1k USD for a China made guitar...

Comment

hey slash-ed i can get the DFH for just over £500 here in the UK im still a little undecided if i gonna get another guitar i really need to work with my backline a little more its sounding like shit at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X