Repair chips in body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair chips in body

I bought a used Sl2 off eBay and I just got it yesterday. This axe plays like a dream but it has some nasty dings in the body. There are 2 places on the body and one on the back of the headstock where the damage is nearly down to the wood. I would like to have some of these repaired as I really like the guitar and they are the only real blemishes on it that bug me.
    The finish is the Interference Fireglo which is an awesome paint scheme.Its the flip flop that changes from purple to gold.
    How would these be repaired? Would it cost much to get them fixed up?

Sorry for not helping, but that's a nice finish! It's amazing how much it can change the color!

Comment

That would be a tough (if not impossible) color to touch up. The repairs would likely look just as bad as the chips.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Ugh, I hate it when a near perfect condition guitar has one or two nasty dings! They aren't even that bad, but i guess the niiiiiceness of the rest of it kinda exacerbates it.

Nice catch.

Comment

Man, MM is right. Tough to repair. IF you are serious about fully repairing it, I'd take it to a qualified repair guy. Someone reputable. If you are just concerned with filling IN the dips, you can drop-fill with cyanoacrylate glue (super glue), and hit it with a spray accelerator, to speed up the curing process. Super glue builds without dipping in the center of the fill. I've done this on lots of dings, before, with decent results. Hell, you should've seen my beater-guitar prior to all the drop-fills I did! The trick is to get the fill level after the curing is done.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Could Jackson give you the paint code and mfg name?It may be possible to fill a bit drop in some paint and get close to the color and then final fill with clear coat.It wouldn't be perfect but better than it is now.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The problem with filling the chips with color is that it is a multi stage, color changing paint. It would be pretty much impossible to duplicate that effect on a small area. Right now it looks like normal wear and tear, but if you attempt to fix it, it will look like a botched up repair attempt. I'd rather have normal wear and tear.

Comment

My cute pink Fusion has a few chips. I will go to Wallgreens and see it I can find a fingernail polish that comes close.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Mark your right it would be better to leave it alone I agree.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
                    Mark your right it would be better to leave it alone I agree.
                    +1000

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was thinking with the finish it might be hard to get something that doesn't highlight the problem even more. I'm only worried that they might get a little bigger with more time and wear but that might not happen. Overall I'm very pleased with the guitar and the finish is really cool.
                      I also got a great price in the end because I avoided the customs and delivery fees to Ireland. Score!

Comment

Working...
                      X