Your trem and you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your trem and you

I am convinced that a trem not only does its dips but it makes a tremendelo difference on the sound of the 'tar. I have a DX or DK or whatever with a 81-85 set of pups. It's a newer one with a stock "Floyd" 580. It sounded OK, but no great shakes. Well, just because I had one, I installed an old Charvel Schaller 590 Floyd. What a difference!!!!! The 'tar has a much more mellow sound and is a treat to play. You young pups snag these trems. They are just great. And that goes for real '80's Floyds. All the other shit is scrap metal. For you old farts, that's just a "DUH"
    Last edited by fett; 09-01-2006, 11:00 PM.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Excellent!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I noticed the same thing with my Ibanez JEM. Once I had Floyd Rose's shop install a Speedloader I noticed an immediate improvement in the sustain, clarity, and "quality" of the tone. I really did not expect to notice any difference in tone at all. The Speedloader bridge is a definitely a much nicer bridge than that Ibanez Lo-Whatevah but I was really surprised how much better the guitar sounded.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

The guitar I did it to is like night and day. Stick with the quality metal. It does make a difference.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

None of my Floyded guitar have ever stayed in tune. And most of them have been OFR's. It's apparent that fate does not want me to play guitars with Floyds.

I have:
          1. Set them up flawlessly, with perfect action and intonation
          2. Made sure everything is tight and no slippage is occuring
          3. Lubricated every fucking contact point where disruption of balance may occur(knife edges, floyd springs)
          4. Made sure nothing was worn and no screws were loose.

I use 010-046 strings tuned to standard. Actually my Nightswan stays in tune with 9's, but refuses to keep tuning with 10's.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoraby
            None of my Floyded guitar have ever stayed in tune. And most of them have been OFR's. It's apparent that fate does not want me to play guitars with Floyds.

I have:
            1. Set them up flawlessly, with perfect action and intonation
            2. Made sure everything is tight and no slippage is occuring
            3. Lubricated every fucking contact point where disruption of balance may occur(knife edges, floyd springs)
            4. Made sure nothing was worn and no screws were loose.

I use 010-046 strings tuned to standard. Actually my Nightswan stays in tune with 9's, but refuses to keep tuning with 10's.
            Are you stretching the strings real good prior to locking down the nut? How many springs are you using?
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by fett
              I am convinced that a trem not only does its dips but it makes a tremendelo difference on the sound of the 'tar. I have a DX or DK or whatever with a 81-85 set of pups. It's a newer one with a stock "Floyd" 580. It sounded OK, but no great shakes. Well, just because I had one, I installed an old Charvel Schaller 590 Floyd. What a difference!!!!! The 'tar has a much more mellow sound and is a treat to play. You young pups snag these trems. They are just great. And that goes for real '80's Floyds. All the other shit is scrap metal. For you old farts, that's just a "DUH"
              Glad that happened, but in all my years I have never noticed a difference. Had a SD Soloist with a Kahler, had it pro Floyd-ed, same tone. Had a Les Paul with stop tail, had it pro Floyd-ed, same tone. Had Jacksons and Charvels with stock JT-6, swapped for Floyd, same tone. Always...
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

That's funny, I have had excellent luck with floyds.

My former KV2 came to me from California in PERFECT tune and intonation. No matter how high I bent the strings/ wailed on the bar it wouldn't go out of tune. I have four other axes with floyds and they're the same way.

My first issues are coming from a Kahler equipped jackson. The return points are all over the place when you use the bar. Sometimes it'll come back sharp, sometimes flat. I'd never had this problem(or any) with a floyd.

Hit or miss for some I suppose

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                  Are you stretching the strings real good prior to locking down the nut? How many springs are you using?
                  I've used 2 springs, 3 springs, 4 springs and 5 springs, and I've stretched strings to the point of having them break on me. I must be getting all the crap floyds

Comment

Working...
                  X