Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make rosewood darker?

Hey,

The fretboard on my Jackson Stars is kinda light and bleach, thus pretty fucking ugly in my eyes (Ebony ftw). Is there some way to make it darker? Perhaps with some oil or so.

To clean and condition fretboards I use Dunlop 02 conditioner. It makes your board look more alive and it darkens it up a bit too.
    There's this one thing that Stewmac sells and makes rosewood look like ebony, but they don't ship it overseas . There are some members here who used it and they all got nice results.

Comment

The StewMac stuff works..it will ebonize rosewood. India Ink also works just fine.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

The stuff that StewMac sells is an oil based stain that is actually marketed and used for leather. If you have a leather shop, horse saddle/tack shop nearby you should be able to find some.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Ah, for leather, I think know what it is. It's called "narvsvärta" in Sweden. Pretty obscure name.

I'll try it out

Edit: Just found the exact same dying stuff that StewMac had over here.
          Last edited by Kurtma; 08-29-2006, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Cool! Let us know how it comes out!
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Bore Oil is a great conditioner for rosewood fretboards. It keeps the wood from drying out and darkens it as well. You should try it.

Comment

There are plenty of threads here with alternative methods. Try searching using the word "ebonization" or "ebonizing"
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                X