Thinking of new pickups for my RR3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of new pickups for my RR3

I would like to replace the Duncan Designed Detonators that are in my RR3 but I'm affraid to just start buying new pickups and doing "trial and error." I have been trying my other guitars that have different pickup combinations and am trying to imagine what they would sound like in my RR3. I have been seriously considering some EMG 81's but am not looking forward to changing out everything and fishing wires from the upper wing (where the new output jack would go.)

I really would like to just change out the pickups only. I already changed out my bridge pot to 1 meg to try to get a little more out of the Detonators. How are the EMG HZ 4's??? I was also considering maybe just buying one Duncan Invader for the bridge just to keep the look there. I don't know. I might also lean towards a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. I have always loved that one. Maybe even Duncan Distortions.

I believe the body is Alder, and I have no other guitars made of this wood, so what I am basically asking here (sorry about the long post) has anyone have advice here regarding some really hot pickups for this guitar. I want to basically make it my #1 player and want it to sound it's best. What sounds good in it? By the way my style of music is: 80's metal, classic rock and MORE 80's Hair Metal!!!!! I play through a multi-effects Zoom into either a Line 6 or Marshall (old 80's solid state model.)

Thanks in advance!
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

Go with EMG 89 a 85&SA under one cover great pickups like haveing 4 pickups.

Comment

Try an rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit, you may like the detonators after all.I did this for a customer on his RR3 and he was blown away with how great his guitar sounded.
      I have to admit I didn't care for the detonators at all but with the kit installed it sounded flat awesome.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I used EMG-85/58 in my RR and really liked it. The 85 sounded tight and beefy in the bridge position, while the 58 added a little high end sizzle to the neck tone. But if I should do that swap today, I would probably go for a Duncan Distortion set.

Comment

***********UPDATE*****************

Thanks very much for all the input. I have decided, for monetary reasons (wife,kids,mortgage...etc) that I can't go out and buy the EMG's I wanted so I tried something I already have. I have a Duncan Distortion/Jazz set I got about a year ago. I had them in another guitar, but I don't play it too much anymore so I figured why not. I put them in the RR3 along with a 1 meg ohm volume pot on the bridge p/u and I have to say it definitely makes it sound much better (better than the Duncan Detonators that were in there.)

I figured it would be just a temporary fix until I saved up for the EMG's but after fooling around with it for a while, I think they might be keepers.

Thanks again for the input. Take care All!
          Guitars:
          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
          1988 Model 2,
          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
          RR3
          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
          2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic
            I have a Duncan Distortion/Jazz set

That's the same pups I have in my RX10D and sounds great.............
            "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Man, that's what I hate about pickups. With the character of a guitar's wood it'll sound different in different guitars of the same make/model/construction/wood. It's physics man, no two cuts of wood will behave the same way and that's why choseing pickups sucks.
              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
              X