Favourite fret size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite fret size?

Just wanted to know what people think is the best fret size because i see the majority of guitars built with jumbo. Wouldn't this be a handycap because if you used small frets instead there would be more room for your fingers when soloing at the high end. I guess it also depends on your finger fatness.

I like Jumbo, but I think the thin High frets intonate better. The only frets I really don't care for are the fretless wonder type that Gibson use to put on some of there guitars.(Les Paul & SG Custom and the Firebird 7 )

Comment

Dunlop 6100 for guitars and 6000 for basses

Originally posted by jtr
      I like Jumbo, but I think the thin High frets intonate better. The only frets I really don't care for are the fretless wonder type that Gibson use to put on some of there guitars.(Les Paul & SG Custom and the Firebird 7 )
      As pompous as it may sound, the only reason for any fret (or even scallops) to intonate better or worse than another type is the player pressing too hard on one type whilst not doing so on the other.

Comment

Big ones.

Although I do have a variety of fret sizes on my different guitars, and I can play them all quite comfortably. If I had the opportunity to choose fret wire, all else being equal, I would choose some big ass frets.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr
          +1. I like the Dunlop 6100. The other frets I don't like are the Fender vintage skinny frets like on my Fender Clapton model.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

6100 +1
            "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Originally posted by toddstaples
              6100 +1
              +1 here too, I hate small frets.
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

6100's all the way! Love 'em!
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Not much of a big deal to me, but my guitars have either jumbo or medium jumbo. I do hate the real tiny vintage Fender frets, though.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The thinner the Fret the more precise the intonation and granted if you press to hard it will throw it off. The less surface at the top of the fret that comes in contacted with the string the better ,that why big frets need to be crowned more often.

Comment

jtr-- I think its the point where the strings leaves the fret. Doesn't matter how wide it is for intonation puroose

Comment

Originally posted by jtr
                        The thinner the Fret the more precise the intonation and granted if you press to hard it will throw it off. The less surface at the top of the fret that comes in contacted with the string the better ,that why big frets need to be crowned more often.
                        yup

Comment

Seems like frets come in different heights and widths though. My 91 Gibson explorer frets seem the same height as my Charvels and Ibanez's but are thinner.
                          I like large and small but not too small. I think smaller is easier to play but large is better for some bending. Haven't tried scalloped yet.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                            Not much of a big deal to me, but my guitars have either jumbo or medium jumbo. I do hate the real tiny vintage Fender frets, though.
                            Of course it's not a big deal to you Joe. When all you know how to play is a G chord, who cares about fret size!
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Hey, I know the E chord, too!
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X