Criss Oliva appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criss Oliva appreciation thread

Just picked up the silver anniversary version of Savatage's debut album, "Sirens". RAW! Criss Oliva's playing is aggressive, expressive and ripping. Incredible chops.

When did he switch over to Jacksons? After Hall of the Mtn King sessions, circa 1987? Was the Kelly his first Jackson?

Re: Criss Oliva appreciation thread

He jammed on Charvels alot didnt he? I know he had a Jackson V as well.

Comment

I think you're right - criss was a huge Charvel endorser in the 89-90 period. I remember seeing the Savatage band ads for Charvel's. did criss ever play a jackson [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      for some reason I recall a kelly in the video for "jesus saves" from Streets...I think.... [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Charvel Ad from 1989-90

Comment

Criss played his Skeleton "Don't Smoke" Fusion in Jesus Saves...I've never seen him with a Kelly. The oldest J/C guitar I've seen him with was a San Dimas Charvel Strat, around the time of Hall of the Mtn. King, it was white with black or dark purple zebra stripes(in the gallery at www.savintage.com) I think he mainly used Charvel Predators and that Gargoyle ESP that was relogo'ed as a Jackson, then he had a Charvel Legend Tele too, and a blue Jackson with a maple fretboard and and and...he had a lot of guitars. I think early days he had a Strat that he won in a contest that was later stolen and a Dean along with some other random guitars.

And you're right, he sure could rip! Incredible amount of expression and emotion in his playing too, definitely one of my all time favorites.

edited because I had to fix a totally nonsensical sentence.

Comment

Criss is the perfect blend of technique and emotion in guitar playing. 'Nuff said.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

I'm still trying to confirm it, but I beileve that the "Streets" guitar is a Predator with a Legend neck...
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Big Oliva fan here. Absolutely.

Comment

CHRIS = GOD, imho [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by plon:
                    Let me try this again.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] I stand corrected! THANKS [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                      Criss played his Skeleton "Don't Smoke" Fusion in Jesus Saves...I've never seen him with a Kelly.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] BW, thanks for the update! I must've been smokin' sumthin' back then... [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Criss's playing on Edge of Thorns was truly phenomenal!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                        His solos were like little songs themselves! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ....lightning fast and so melodic!

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Rest in peace [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Savatage Homepage

Comment

Found this a couple years ago.

Comment

Let me try this again.

[ April 22, 2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: plon ]

Comment

That's the San Dimas I was referring to...

Comment

Working...
                              X