Building a strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a strat

Well, as you people might have read in my "fixing a headstock" topic, I am the proud owner of a late eighties Squier Stratocaster which I bought new on my fifteenth birthday back in 1991, this old girl, lovingly called "the Veteran" has been through a LOT of modifications but now I'm restoring her to strathood.

But as to take three dimensional photograph I'm building a closely matching replica of how the "Veteran" used to look with the mods and all. I'm thinking of naming that one "The rookie"

The "Veteran" before the restoration, the "Rookie" wil look just like this.

Building the "Rookie"

Here's the raw maple with the strat routing template

After sawing off the exess wood, ready for routing

After routing, a nice clean maple strat body to be.

Routing out the neck pocket, I put in the neck to check if I haven't routed it too dep, luckely, I got it right.

And so I started working on the vibrato channel

And while doing so I completely forgot that I had a camera with me and failed to document the routing of the pickup and control routs, and of me bevelling the body. I only remembered my camera when I put the thing together to see how it looked.

Artist impression of what the Rookie will look like when finished.

The "Rookie" at home.

The neck, Kahler Vibrato, pickups and pickguard all come from "the Veteran" as you can see I am FAR from finished, I need to drill the holes for the bushes of the vibrato and spray the body in sealer before I can add the first layers of red.

It'll be a long time before I can play the "Rookie" but I'm having a ball just making it.

Comment

Building the "Rookie"

Here's the raw maple with the strat routing template

After sawing off the exess wood, ready for routing

After routing, a nice clean maple strat body to be.

Routing out the neck pocket, I put in the neck to check if I haven't routed it too dep, luckely, I got it right.

And so I started working on the vibrato channel

And while doing so I completely forgot that I had a camera with me and failed to document the routing of the pickup and control routs, and of me bevelling the body. I only remembered my camera when I put the thing together to see how it looked.

Artist impression of what the Rookie will look like when finished.

The "Rookie" at home.

The neck, Kahler Vibrato, pickups and pickguard all come from "the Veteran" as you can see I am FAR from finished, I need to drill the holes for the bushes of the vibrato and spray the body in sealer before I can add the first layers of red.

It'll be a long time before I can play the "Rookie" but I'm having a ball just making it.

Comment

Blazer, you are off to a kick ass start on your Rookie project. Very cool.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Nice, work, Blazer. Can't wait to see the finished product. Please be sure to post pics along the way.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

The "Veteran" and the "Rookie" together, as you guys can see, I put the Kahler back on the "Veteran" because I love the smooth feel of that bridge. I have a second one so that one is reserved for the "Rookie" I also need to find a bridge pickup for the "Veteran"

Comment

The restoration of the "Veteran" is done.

Please tell me, how did I do?

Comment

The "Rookie" in its filler coat, showing how green she is right now. I put the neck and other hardware on to see for myself how she will look when done.

A close up on the Kahler bridge showing the studs I inserted today.

and so the build goes steadily forward.

Comment

Great job! Very nice guitar/s

Comment

Originally posted by Model 6 Matt
                    Great job! Very nice guitar/s
                    +1
                    Looks much cleaner and the red/white... vintage

Comment

I did the last sanding job and put the body in primer. Now I need to start wet sanding (after the primer has dried of course) and then I can start applying the layers of color.

Boy I'm having fun with this.

Comment

Comment

Okay you guys, I finished Building the "Rookie" compare it with the Picture of the Veteran in the beginning of this thread.

As you guys can see, I went with a different neck. I could get this gorgeous Birdseye maple neck for a bargain price and I went for it. Apart from the headstock shape I suceeded in making a matching copy of the "Veteran" They look so similar that I have to catch myself sometimes. The swimmingpool rout of the Rookie gives it a very airy open sound, I figured that the all maple construction would result is a very bright sound but that's not the case, it has a very tight low end and it nails that David Gilmour tone when overdriven. All in all this project was a success.

Comment

Wow! 5 days ago you were just waiting for primer to dry, and now it's painted and assembled! What kind of primer/paint did you use?
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                              Wow! 5 days ago you were just waiting for primer to dry, and now it's painted and assembled! What kind of primer/paint did you use?
                              Spray Primer, but I wanted to make ABSOLUTELY sure that it was dried thouroughly.

Comment

Working...
                              X