Books on guitar setups/repairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on guitar setups/repairs?

What's the name of that book by Dan something or other that everyone refers to as the holy grails of guitar maintenance/setup/repair? I want to learn how to properly set my guitar up myself since the tech I usually take my stuff to is starting to do a shitty job...I can restring a Floyd, adjust the spring tension, change the action and all that nonsense, but I've never done intonation and only a little bit of truss rod work. I'd like to learn more about fret polishing/levelling and that sort of thing.

I took my Kelly XL and my DK1 to get their first setups the other day and when I got them back, the action on both of them was higher then when I took it in. Granted, the action on the DK1 was ridiculous and I could probably fret a note by breathing on the string, which meant there was a little buzz on the first few frets, but the Kelly XL action now is higher than some acoustics I have played, and it only had buzzing on the first few frets as well. I know that sort of buzzing is remedied by putting a bit more relief in the neck so this guy obviously didn't touch the truss rod and that's the only reason I took them in. The guitars are even strung up improperly, the windings on the post don't go underneath each other, theres one winding above the hole and one winding below on every single string, which sort of makes it seem like it was on done purpose for some reason but I don't understand what that reason could be. Anyways! Name of the book would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

It’s “Dan Erlewine, How To Make Your Electric guitar Play Great, Backbeat Books, 2001 (ISBN 0-87930-601-7)” . Personally I didn’t find it much use (though others seem to love it). Dan, has a regular slot on Les Paul forum.

Ian.

Comment

Dan's got two books - the aforementioned "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" and "Guitar Player Repair Guide." I recommend both. They'll definately get you up to speed with setups. One shortcoming is the lack of info on locking trems - he shows one setup for an Ibanez Lo Pro, but that's about it. Plenty to get you knowledgeable about setups, electronics and other general repairs.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

There are many way to wind strings, on a floyd guitar its not that critical because of the locking nut.Dans book covers different winding tecniques.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks guys, I ordered both, hopefully it'll be an interesting and informative read!

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
            There are many way to wind strings, on a floyd guitar its not that critical because of the locking nut.Dans book covers different winding tecniques.
            Yeah with the locking nut I know it doesn't make a difference so it doesn't bother me...the more I look at it, every string is done exactly the same with the exact same amount of windings and the peg holes on all of them almost lineup perfectly as well so it seems it was intentional and done for a reason. Still not impressed with the lack of truss rod adjustment though.

Comment

Dan is the man! DonP has had Dan work on his guitars personally. I have all his books and half the videos.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

can someone send me a link so i can order online too? uk based mail order co. please.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi
                  can someone send me a link so i can order online too? uk based mail order co. please.
                  www.play.com sell both but there not in stock at the mo
                  http://www.play.com/Books/Books/6-/S...chtype=bookall
                  Last edited by Speiro; 08-07-2006, 03:55 PM.
                  www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

I've got Dan's Guitar Player Repair Guide, and it has proven itself to be priceless. Thanks to that book, I do most repairs/mods myself.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

between the two books, the "how to make your guitar play great" isn't nearly as comprehensive as guitar player repair guide.
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

On the other hand, I find some of the info in the Guitar Player Repair Guide to be completely extraneous. Do we really need to know how to fix antique goldtop finishes, or about that Tele B-bender thing? Most of the rest *is* really useful, and all of it is a good read, useful or not (especially the interviews). I just don't find it as comprehensive as I would like. It would be great if Dan wrote another book, this time built from the ground up, rather than around his Guitar Player articles.

Comment

This one is quite good (although not as comprehensive as Dan's one but seems more focused) and even includes a DVD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/073...501401?ie=UTF8
                          It's pretty good on the Floyds...
                          The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyApollo
                            On the other hand, I find some of the info in the Guitar Player Repair Guide to be completely extraneous. Do we really need to know how to fix antique goldtop finishes, or about that Tele B-bender thing? Most of the rest *is* really useful, and all of it is a good read, useful or not (especially the interviews). I just don't find it as comprehensive as I would like. It would be great if Dan wrote another book, this time built from the ground up, rather than around his Guitar Player articles.
                            Yeah, most people may not be interested in that. But we have to remember that he put this book together for a somewhat broad audience. You and I may not be interested, but there are those who ARE.
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                            X