Problems hitting the vol knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems hitting the vol knob

The one thing that nags me about my import Charvels is the vol knob. It's so near the humb that when I play aggressively I've always hit it with my hand. It causes the volume to get turned down gradually. On my USA Charvel it doesn't happen. I think the placement is slightly different than my Fusion, 650, and Model 7. Perhaps tighter pots would help? Anyone else have this problem and a solution?

I hate the placement just as much as you. Although I don't hit it to where it gets turned, it does bother the ever livin' crap out of me when my hand hits it. It also tends to make me be a lil' less aggressive in my strumming. I just live with it. That's my solution. I love J/Cs too much to let it get to me too much.
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

How high is the vol knob from the guitar finish? Lower it is, tighter it is to turn.
      Lower it by unscrewing the little screw in the knob, lower the knob a bit and tighten the little screw back in. Worked perfectly for me!

Comment

Yep, I moved the volume pot on my Model 1 that I refinned. I may eventually get around to moving the pot on my Model 2. That's it to the right of the yellow Model 1 in the 2nd pic.

Alvin

MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

I hate the position of the Volume knob too. I guess if you use the volume control as an effect with your pinky finger (like Roy Buchanan)it be a good location for it.

I've tried smaller knobs they still get in the way. I just remove the vol knob and eventually will move the Volume pot by drilling a new hole for it, or replacing the tone with the volume pot. or using a concentric pot. for volume & tone, or Volume & volume.

Here is another thread on the topic:
          http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...ghlight=volume
          Last edited by maxboost; 08-01-2006, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey
            I hate the placement just as much as you. Although I don't hit it to where it gets turned, it does bother the ever livin' crap out of me when my hand hits it. It also tends to make me be a lil' less aggressive in my strumming. I just live with it. That's my solution. I love J/Cs too much to let it get to me too much.
            Yea, +1 I hate it too. Who ever decided it should be there in the first place? Someone that does volume swells with their pinky, EVH? I noticed on the RR1 it's a little more towards the bridge. It's the same with Stratocasters, although the plastic knob turns a little more slowly for me. I think my next J/C CS will have no controls. Just an on/off switch
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

That's a recent post too. How'd I miss that? I'll try lowering the knob closer to the body for friction.

Comment

I had this problem on my Warrior Pro. I found the normal knob is sized about 3/4" round by 3/4" tall. Carvin makes a knob sized 5/8" x 5/8", their p/n K6 for black (see bottom of the link page). The smaller knob gets in the way much less than the stock knob.
                http://www.carvin.com/products/singl...mber=K3&CID=HW

Comment

1+ for the smaller carvin knob.
                  METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I've been meaning to order something else from Carvin too. I'll throw that K6 knob in my cart too.

Comment

Fan your fingers out like George Lynch and Warren DeMartini... you'll never touch the knob.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use the RS/CTS super pots and they are a tight pot so if you hit the knob accidentally like I do it stays put.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I just rewire my guitars to 1 vol, then put the vol where the tone pot normally goes, and chuck the rest to hell. There will be a hole left, but I'll rather have that than a guitar that is bothersome to play. I can't adjust my playing style to avoid the knob, so I must adapt my guitars to fit my playing style.

I have noticed that I have less of a problem with guitars that have archtops and non-recessed bridges, because the knob will sit lower in relation to the strings.
                          Last edited by Sunbane; 08-02-2006, 03:39 AM.

Comment

When I was teching for Hangar 18, Marty would have me tape down his vol knob w/ elec tape (!) Ugly, but effective.
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

That's why when I get enough $ for a CS Jackson I'll get the knobs recessed and out of the way like the PC-1 has them outta the way!! This another reason why I like Kahlers, cuz the bar don't get in my way like the Floyd does!!
                              I love admins!

Comment

Working...
                              X