Schaller tuning probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schaller tuning probs

Anyone had any intonation issues with there schaller floyd? Ive just changed from 9-42 to 10-46 & tuned to Eb & had drastic results concerning the movement of the saddles forward. when i tuned to C & used 11-58's the saddles needed to be moved back rather than forward. My understanding was that when down tuning the string lengh had to be increased to compensate for the slack tension. Ive done everything from truss rod adjustment to raising the action slightly all saddles are in a straight line right on the edge of the base plate (nearest the bridge PUP) i just cant stop thinking theres something else wrong as it was such a large increase in the movement of the saddles for 1/2 step down. Anyone any ideas?

Don't see why you'd need them all at the edge in a line just going from 9s to 10s.

Are you using a tuner to check the intonation? Could need a new battery, or you've got some wierd harmonic business going into the tuner due to the size and tuning (trem spring resonance causing some sort of harmonic disturbance).

Try putting the saddles back in A=440 position, then just tune down and see what you get without moving the saddles.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hey Newc yeah i used a korg tuner to set intonation. I had a new set of springs that i also tried. I mailed a very good tech today that advised me to check the distance from the 12th fret to the middle of the saddles field of adjustment on both the 580lp & the schaller to see if they were equal unfortunatly i no longer have a 580lp so thats out the question.He had a feeling the schaller might not be compatible but i cant see how as theres tons of people on here done a straight swap with the schaller & the 580LP. i think i'll just get it in the workshop to see what they can do as ive run outta ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Nevermore
        Hey Newc yeah i used a korg tuner to set intonation. I had a new set of springs that i also tried. I mailed a very good tech today that advised me to check the distance from the 12th fret to the middle of the saddles field of adjustment on both the 580lp & the schaller to see if they were equal unfortunatly i no longer have a 580lp so thats out the question.He had a feeling the schaller might not be compatible but i cant see how as theres tons of people on here done a straight swap with the schaller & the 580LP. i think i'll just get it in the workshop to see what they can do as ive run outta ideas
        hello- I had the opposite problem. I attempted to replace a Schaller base plate with a 580lp base plate (Schaller had stripped intonation screw holes).
        The guitar can't be properly intonated now as the saddles need to go farther back then there is room on the base plate. The swap your making is not compatable. There is another thread going on that explains this. Do a search on "Schaller base plate" and you'll find it. Karl

Comment

Working...
        X