Guitars, Amplifiers and Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitars, Amplifiers and Cars

So, I was an idiot and left my guitar and amp in my car for two days... just for the record, Nova Scotia has some nice humid weather too.

My gutiar was full of rust, but I cleaned most of it off (haven't looked inside at the electronics yet) and replaced the strings. The amp took it remarkibly well.

Except, on both the guitar and the amp the inputs are fucked. If you move the cable in the wrong direction you either loose distortion/volume/sound(amp), or get a loud crack(guitar).

Anyone got any ideas to improve this, or should I just shell out the money for some new inputs?

Sounds like you have some corrosion in there.
    Clean up the contact points with some steel wool or sand paper and check the solder points for corrosion.
    You may have to re-solder them.
    -Rick

Comment

After sanding the contacts on the inputs they will probably rust again though in your marine climate. Maybe it is worth just going ahead and getting new inputs now.

Comment

-dupe, sorry
        Last edited by Tashtego; 07-29-2006, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Sanding or steel wooling the electrical contacts may be a little aggressive. I'd try giving the contacts a shot of contact cleaner or TV/Controller spray at first. And if the corrosion is more severe, then some 0000 steel wool or sandpaper. The hardware can be cleaned up with Triflow or my favorite "BreakFree CLP". It also makes a great gun cleaner/lube. Keep a rag handy to wipe up the overspray.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

This has been brought up a few times in the past, and there is a tool you can buy that works great for cleaning input jacks. It's like a 1/4" plug with a small handle on it, and is inpregnated with a fine abrasive. You just plug it in, twist it around a couple of times, and it cleans the contacts. I had one years ago, but I can't remember who sells them now. Does anyone know?
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
              This has been brought up a few times in the past, and there is a tool you can buy that works great for cleaning input jacks. It's like a 1/4" plug with a small handle on it, and is inpregnated with a fine abrasive. You just plug it in, twist it around a couple of times, and it cleans the contacts. I had one years ago, but I can't remember who sells them now. Does anyone know?
              That sounds wicked. I'm doing a google search right now, but nothing has come up as of yet.

Comment

Working...
              X