Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting an "old" Guitar - Floyd Rose issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting an "old" Guitar - Floyd Rose issues?

So im hoping to pickup up a 1984 Kramer (gulp!) for a good deal. It has an OFR on it. Has the design of the OFR changed much since 84? Are there any issues to look out for when checking this thing out? I know it has screw in posts, not hex wrench ones - are they a problem? Will the posts need replacing? What is going to be the best thing to clean it with?

On a different note, if i pick it up i will obviously be giving it a going over/cleaning/setup. What are good techniques/products to use to bring an old guitar to its former glory?

Sorry for what may be stupid questions, but this is would be my first used guitar, and my only Floyd Guitar. Double newbie!

The design hasn't changed much since they introduced fine-tuners. One big change was that they went from a screw-in arm to a threaded collar design. Pretty cool history here:

http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts6.htm

You may be pleasantly surprised. I've bought some old guitars with floyds in great shape. If it needs a thorough cleaning or rust removal, here's a tutorial that Scott V-Wall did for ProjectGuitar:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/bridgeclean.htm

Comment

No gulp needed. I have 2 Pacer Specials with Floyds and they are just fine. What he said about the Kramer Site. The original control cover is pretty flimsy on one of mine and not there on the other. What model is it?
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett
        No gulp needed. I have 2 Pacer Specials with Floyds and they are just fine. What he said about the Kramer Site. The original control cover is pretty flimsy on one of mine and not there on the other. What model is it?
        Thanks for the info guys!

Its a 1984 USA Pacer, with a "D" plate. It should be here next week, got a killer deal online. From the pics it looks in very good condition, no noticable rust or major issues (apparently the locking nut needs changing though). Im getting it refinished into a "custom" flip/flop blue (blue over purple) which is more receptive than the old finishes that Kramer used back in the 80s. Im really psyched for it!

Comment

Working...
        X