Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement trem for JT580LP?

Hey guys

Is there a direct swap-out replacement trem for the JT580LP? I was hoping the Floyd Rose Pro might be the answer but wanted to check first.

Thanks
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Yep, the FR Pro will drop right in as far as I know.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
      Yep, the FR Pro will drop right in as far as I know.
      I´m fairly certain that it won´t... IIRC the post spacing of the FR Pro is different from an OFR, and an OFR is a drop in replacement (though I recommend using the OFR posts as well).....

But I´ve never held an FR Pro in my hands, so I may be misinformed...

Comment

You can pretty much drop in most FR type bridges. Just keep in mind that if you go with a JT590 or a JT580, you will have space behind the bridge because of the shorter locking bolts. I also assumed a FR Pro would work too, but maybe Zerb's right. I've never had one either, so the spacing might be different.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

BTW, Schaller trems will fit, but the trem has a 1/16" shorter mounting distance and therefore a 1/16" longer distance from knife edge to the Scale reference point approx. mid trem, meaning in standard tuning you may not have enough travel for the High E and B strings to intonate properly. If you downtune a bit anyway it´s a definite non issue and can sometimes actually be beneficial for the intonation of the low E and A for anything under C tuning.

An OFR, Gotoh, Edge, Kahler Steeler and most knockoffs won´t have this possible issue, as the mounting distance on these is all exactly 25" (on a 25.5" scale)
          Last edited by Zerberus; 07-29-2006, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
            I´m fairly certain that it won´t... IIRC the post spacing of the FR Pro is different from an OFR, and an OFR is a drop in replacement (though I recommend using the OFR posts as well).....

But I´ve never held an FR Pro in my hands, so I may be misinformed...
            The standard post spacing for FR type bridges is 2.91 (2 15/16")
            This is true for the FR Pro too.

Comment

The standard post spacing for FR type bridges is 2.91 (2 15/16")
              This is true for the FR Pro too.
              Mark is right, the spacing is the same. All the dimensions you need for OFR, and FR Pro can be found at www.FloydRose.com

Comment

The FR Pro will NOT fit! There was a thread last year where someone tried. The post spacing is the same, but the base plate is centered differently and rubs against the route near the volume control. The member here who did it had to route it out a bit more. Another member here, Gilbert, bought an FR Pro to replace his OFR and he couldn't get that to drop in either, and also got it routed out.

The OFR is a direct replacement however the string lock screws will probably not clear the back of the route since the trem is a different design. I'm sure you can get shorter replacement screws somewhere though. The Schaller made JT590 is a direct drop in.

Comment

I had a floyd rose LP in my 92 fusion H-H and it dropped right in.It has the same angled base plate as the 580 lp.I had no problems at all.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by DumpyWumpy
                    The FR Pro will NOT fit! There was a thread last year where someone tried. The post spacing is the same, but the base plate is centered differently and rubs against the route near the volume control. The member here who did it had to route it out a bit more. Another member here, Gilbert, bought an FR Pro to replace his OFR and he couldn't get that to drop in either, and also got it routed out.

The OFR is a direct replacement however the string lock screws will probably not clear the back of the route since the trem is a different design. I'm sure you can get shorter replacement screws somewhere though. The Schaller made JT590 is a direct drop in.
                    Unless I'm missing something here, nobody said the Pro is a direct "drop in" replacement for the OFR. The question was replacing a JT580LP.
                    Also, if the OFR screws are too long (which they aren't in most cases), then it really isn't a "drop in" replacement either huh? The Schaller JT590 also isn't a "drop in" replacement because the spring block is too long. You would have to put a short block on it. Soooo as far as a direct "drop in" replacement for the JT580LP, I'd say the FR Pro would be the only choice (of course the takeuchi TRS Pro is too).
                    Last edited by mm2002; 07-30-2006, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Unless I'm missing something here, nobody said the Pro is a direct "drop in" replacement for the OFR. The question was replacing a JT580LP.
                      Also, if the OFR screws are too long (which they are), then it really isn't a "drop in" replacement either huh? The Schaller JT590 also isn't a "drop in" replacement because the spring block is too long. You would have to put a short block on it. Soooo as far as a direct "drop in" replacement for the JT580LP, I'd say the FR Pro would be the only choice (of course the takeuchi TRS Pro is too).
                      Yeah I know it's not a drop in replacement for the OFR, I WAS talking about the JT580LP until my last paragraph. Search the forum and you might be able to find the topic where someone actually tried to do a 580 to FR Pro switch, they posted pictures and everything. The OFR is a direct drop in replacement for the JT580LP aside from the locking screws being too long, so if the FR Pro won't replace an OFR, it won't replace a JT580LP anyways, even though I never said that, that's just logic.

Comment

Thats odd my 92 fusionH-H came with the JT-580LP.I have used a standard OFR no problem just a gap in the rear route.Locking screws on the OFR were not any where close to hitting the body,tried a Floyd Rose pro (LP) fit perfectly no problem same demensions as the JT-580LP.Maybe I'm missing something too.When using the OFR I did use the short block.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I edited my above post due to a brainfart and confusion!
                          Anyway, this always seems to be a confusing topic. The fact is, over the years there has been some small variations in the trem routes, and I'm pretty sure everyone's opinion is correct depending on the guitar they have tried it on. Some guitars with the JT590 or JT500 have a "semi-recessed" trem which is designed for pull ups only, and is still considered a surface mount because the top of the post bushings are at the same level as the top of the body. The JT580LP is a fully recessed trem. The top of the post bushings are about 3/16" below the top of the body. With that said, here's my opinion from my experience:
                          JT580LP can be directly replaced (without modifications) with:
                          OFR with short block (37mm ?)
                          FR Pro
                          Takeuchi TRS Pro

Other than that, I don't know. I've never seen a short block for the Schallers (or JT590), but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Does it? For that one reason only, I wouldn't consider the 590 as a "drop in" replacement.

Hell, the real truth is (in my own opinion), I think the Ibanez Edge is the best trem built in the world. If it would fit everything I own, they would all have one. Jackson or not.

Comment

I dare someone to buy a FR Pro and try to install it on a newer Jackson import without having to route out the cavity. I have NEVER heard of it fitting until the one post in this thread, even after making threads last year asking about whether it would fit or not. All I got was "No, no, no, no."

The reason I said the OFR was a direct drop in (with short block of course) is because you can easily replace the screws at the back for it to fit. You can't rebuild the base plate on a FR Pro to make it fit in the route properly.

Comment

Apparently the search function will only find threads that are from any year EXCEPT 2005 so I can't find any of the old threads, including the one with a detailed description of the replacement process including pictures, so if everyone still refuses to believe me, whatever. It won't fit, end of story.

Comment

Working...
                              X