Removing dot inlays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing dot inlays

Is there an easy way to remove the original dot inlays? I have some abalone dots that I want to use.

Also what kind of glue should I use to hold the abalone dots in?

I did a set one time by drilling out the old ones, and dropping in the new ones. Make sure you drill dead center though! I used wood glue on mine. The only hard part (to me) was shaping and smoothing the tops of the dots to blend with the fretboard. It's not bad if the frets are out, but a bit tedious working around them.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Did you use a drill bit that was the exact size of the dots or a slightly smaller one?

Comment

Exact size. Most all of them are 1/4".

Comment

Yeah, what MM said. You'll want to use a 1/4" 'forstner bit' the kind with the pointed tip, and wide shaft.... yeah... I said "wide shaft!" not the normal drill bit with the angle cut in it.....

Drill only deep enough to remove the dot, no deeper. epoxy or thick superglue is good for shell. Wood glue is okay though. If you drill too deep you should use superglue or epoxy to fill the gap and "float" the dot to match the surface of the fretboard.

Comment

Thanks guys. I had an idea that was how, but I wanted to hear from somebody who had done it before.

Comment

I use a small screw with the point filed flat, drill a small pilot hole in the inlay and then screw in the small screw.When the screw hits the fret board the dot pops out. Be very gentle tho'.This works great for Gibby inlays too.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
                I use a small screw with the point filed flat, drill a small pilot hole in the inlay and then screw in the small screw.When the screw hits the fret board the dot pops out. Be very gentle tho'.This works great for Gibby inlays too.

Have you done this on real shell inlays?

I can see the thick synthetics or fender clay dots popping out relatively easily... but real shell is easy to crack.... If it does work on real shell,
                that would be SWEET!!!!

Comment

That depends on how much glue or resin is under the inlay.The old Gibson inlays pop right out.If you are removing an inlay why do you worry about cracking it?I mean you are replacing it with another are you not?

Comment

I was referring to cracking around the screw while trying to get the inlay out.... I'm imagining having a hole with chips/ cracks that the screw wouldnt grab onto anymore. But a cracked inlay could probably be carefully busted and pryed out as well anyway.

Comment

I would think so.I have not had one do that yet.

Comment

I find a brad point bit slightly smaller. Drill it clean up the whole with another 1/4" brad point and go from there. I sink them almost flush so final sanding in minimal

Comment

Originally posted by eddie_van_earache
                          I find a brad point bit slightly smaller. Drill it clean up the whole with another 1/4" brad point and go from there. I sink them almost flush so final sanding in minimal
                          +1. I wouldn't use a forstner bit.
                          Also, yes there is a chance of splintering the fretboard when attempting to "pull" them out. Drilling is the only way to go.

Comment

Working...
                          X