Don't laugh..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't laugh..

But I've never seen this done before..let's say your swapping out pickups...does one need to first remove the strings?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Kidding Kris! I actually leave the strings on to swap my EMG's around! Sometimes it is a little tricky trying to depress the floyd down enough to get the pup out, then trying hook the EMG on to the quick connect wire, and then finally getting the screw with spring on to line up with the threads on the pup to start mounting it the the ring. Sometimes the strings do need to come off, but I have had a lot of success leaving them on. Sure beats restringing and retuning a floyd all the time!
    Last edited by DarkSaga; 07-26-2006, 06:26 PM.

Comment

if you have a floyded guitar, you can just take the whole trem out and then put it back. You do that by removing/re-attaching springs on the back.

Comment

I always do a lot of pickup changing. I usually just loosen the strings enough to pull them up a few inches and then slide the pickup up and put the new one in. Even on my Floyd Rose guitars, I do that and usually the bridge stays in place. Just a pain to re-tune all the time when doing it, but that's the price I pay to change my mind all the time!
        Guitars:
        Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
        1988 Model 2,
        Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
        RR3
        Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
        2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
          if you have a floyded guitar, you can just take the whole trem out and then put it back. You do that by removing/re-attaching springs on the back.
          That's what I do when I swap pickups. My Charvel 650XL even stays in tune after putting the springs back on!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaga
            HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Kidding Kris! I actually leave the stings on to swap my EMG's around! Sometimes it is a little tricky trying to depress the floyd down enough to get the pup out, then trying hook the EMG on to the quick connect wire, and then finally getting the screw with spring on to line up with the threads on the pup to start mounting it the the ring. Sometimes the strings do need to come off, but I have had a lot of success leaving them on. Sure beats restringing and retuning a floyd all the time!
            How about you been??? I haven't talked to you in a long fucking time.

I always wondered..I am tired of being scared to fix my own KV...it's time I whip out the soldering gun.

Comment

Does removing the springs from the bridge cause any problems?

Comment

Only if:
                A) The spring flies off and hits someone or something or goes into an overstuffed closet.
                or
                B) You can't figure out which end of the spring goes where when you put it back together.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc
                  Only if:
                  A) The spring flies off and hits someone or something or goes into an overstuffed closet.
                  or
                  B) You can't figure out which end of the spring goes where when you put it back together.
                  :ROTF:

Personally, I remove the strings to provide a more user-friendly situation. More room to move. You might scratch the guitar trying to remove the pickups with the strings on. It only takes a few minutes to remove them and put them back on anyway.

Comment

i'm a total newb.

Comment

Originally posted by circle of the tyrants
                      :ROTF:

Personally, I remove the strings to provide a more user-friendly situation. More room to move. You might scratch the guitar trying to remove the pickups with the strings on. It only takes a few minutes to remove them and put them back on anyway.
                      indeed. I did scratch my ex guitar when doing this. Luckily it was an Ibanez which sold like two days after that .

I say go and remove the springs and take the floyd out.

Comment

Done the same, too. No longer do that. Not worth the gouges.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

I've also done this with success on guitars with a locking nut: slack the strings a good amount, then tighten down the locking nut. Then remove each string from the bridge and bunch all 6 strings together and set'em off to the side. Switch the pickup out, then put everything back together. That may sound complicated, but I can actually do it rather quickly.
                          Last edited by Chad; 07-27-2006, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X