Trem on My DKMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem on My DKMG

The trem on my Jackson DKMG never comes back to its 'neutral' position after using the whammy bar. I've tried just about everything to fix the problem. I put tephlon tape on the studs to get rid of the play between them and the anchors. I also changed the strings and fully stretched them. The trem is floating perfectly level with the body of the guitar and everything is set up perfectly. You can physically see the trem not returning to neutral after pull ups. I've heard of this problem before with these trems. Is it just a crappy trem, or is the problem fixable?

first, welcome to the forum!
    second, it's the crappy trem. jt580lp on my RX10D doesn't come back to "nuetral" position aswell.

Comment

Are the post bushings sitting firmly in the body? Are the pivot points on the trem (knife edges) looking sharp and nice?

Comment

I had the same problem with my PS-4 trem. What I found was that one side of the trem (on the low E side) was just "slightly" rubbing up against side of the route in the body. It was not noticable by looking at it. I used a sheet of paper and slid it down that side and noticed that it stopped by the edge of the Floyd. So I took it apart and noticed that although the trem cavity was cut right, there was a buildup of finish that overhung the edge. I used some fine grit sandpaper to bring down that "overhang" and solved the problem.

Hope this helps!
        Guitars:
        Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
        1988 Model 2,
        Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
        RR3
        Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
        2005 SG Special

Comment

I have no probs on the JT580's on my DXMG,DX10,RR3?
          all come back to neutral postion after some severe dime/vai type trem antics?
          I dont know what to tell you except that on yours maybe the knife edges are worn? or as a long shot maybe the springs are not balanced in tension?
          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

I've never had a single tuning issue with the 580LP, and I use the trem a lot. I'm kinda leaning toward the longshot above....bad springs. Also, make sure the strings aren't slipping in the locknut. If you can push any of the strings behind the nut, and cause a pitch change, that's at least one problem there. Granted, they would have to slipping quite a bit to change the neutral position of the trem, but it's possible I suppose. I would probably replace the trem springs, put on a new set of strings, make sure the locknut is holding tight, and go from there.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

No tuning issues with all my 580lp's besides one. And I think it was a spring issue. Anyway, take the trem off, make sure the studs and inserts are tight. And do what mm2002 said.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I screwed up the high E knife edge on mine by adjusting the trem height with the guitar strung up and tuned to pitch. After that, I got similar problems with mine. And it always had wobbling saddles, and a bad fit with the trem arm. Hated that trem.

Comment

I've done everything that you guys told me to do. The trem isn't making contact with the body anywhere, the knife edges are sharp, and the springs are not bad because I already tried changing those and it didn't make a bit of a difference. I think it's just a crappy trem made out of cheap material. An original Floyd Rose will fit right? Because I'm planning on replacing the trem with an OFR.

Comment

When you get the OFR I'll buy the 580 from you. Even if there is something wrong with it, it would be good for parts. Personally, that's one of my favorite trems.

Comment

I have mine blocked for dive only and you know what? It doesn't always come back either.

Comment

Originally posted by shredhed
                        I have mine blocked for dive only and you know what? It doesn't always come back either.
                        Tighten the spring claw a little bit.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                          Tighten the spring claw a little bit.
                          Yea, I've tried everything I know to do. It's only one the low side that it does that.

Lately I've tried tightening up on that side and loosening up a tad on the high.
                          It seems better but not perfect yet.

Comment

Originally posted by shredhed
                            Yea, I've tried everything I know to do. It's only one the low side that it does that.

Lately I've tried tightening up on that side and loosening up a tad on the high.
                            It seems better but not perfect yet.
                            I think this guy tried something like that too, except just the opposite. Why the hell would he have been putting more tension on the treble side?????

Comment

Strange!
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X