GFS pickups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFS pickups.

Since I don't use my bridge pickup very often, I cheaped out, so to speak, and installed GFS Crunchy PAFs in the neck position of 2 of my guitars. Both of them are guitars that I play frequently. The pickups are surprisingly very good, and pair up well with the Duncan bridge pickups. I was so impressed with them, that I decided to try a matching set in another guitar. My Japanese Aria Pro II Custom XX had the stock rail pickups when I got it, and they sounded bloody awful, so I figured for $25 each, I'll try the GFSs and if they're no good, no great loss right. I just finished jamming out for 2 hours on it, and I have to say that the Crunchy PAF is very close to a Duncan Custom. It's got a lot of bite, and nice grindy midrange. I was curious because of the similar output. Customs usually read around 13.9 to 14.1, and the Crunchy PAF bridge pickup reads 14.2. They also have a ceramic magnet like a Custom. They even look like Duncans.

Someone else should give these a try, so that I know I'm not crazy.

Crappy pic I know, but you get the idea.

By the way, the bridge isn't really wonky like that. It's an optical illusion due to the camera angle.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Zeeg-Man I have a H-S-S coming tomorrow with a duncan disty in the bridge and GFS Lil killer humbucker rails in the S-S positions. 10K in the middle and 15k in the neck thanks to Alvin Wilson. I'll post tomorrow and let ya know how they sound

Comment

I am currently using a few different GFS pickups. I have a 'Hot Strat" set in a Fender Strat of mine. I think the bridge p/u measured somethig like 10.5 K and the other two were 9.8K and 8.5K. Pretty decent set. Sounds really good. Nice and hot, much louder that the stock set. I also have a GFS "distortion" humbucker bridge p/u in another and it compared almost to a Dimarzio Super Dist. (I am using it with a 1 meg pot on the vol.) I also have tried their "Dream 90" and I have to say "it didn't suck!" Pretty cool P90 sound.

Overall, I think for the price, GFS p/us are a pretty d@mn good value.
      Guitars:
      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
      1988 Model 2,
      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
      RR3
      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
      2005 SG Special

Comment

I have a GFS Lil Puncher Tele bridge pup in the neck position on my Gibson Explorer. I love it smooth clean sound that gets nice dirty smooth too. Inbetween a PAF and a Tele pup sound and no noise. about 10 K i think it is so, its alot quieter than the X2N in the bridge but I got post preamp volume pedal. I get more pinch harmonics then any other pup in the neck position.

I haven't tried alot of different pickups but, wonder why, according to others, no other pickup company can make good "foreign" production pups.

Comment

Originally posted by quakana
          Zeeg-Man I have a H-S-S coming tomorrow with a duncan disty in the bridge and GFS Lil killer humbucker rails in the S-S positions. 10K in the middle and 15k in the neck thanks to Alvin Wilson. I'll post tomorrow and let ya know how they sound
          Yep, I've been using GFS Lil' Killers for about a year now. I love them. I haven't tried any of their buckers, yet. I've been wanting to try the Crunchy PAF. Since Zeeg's says it is pretty close to a Custom, I'm placing my order today.

Alvin
          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Another thing about these things, is that they are damn quiet pickups. They must be potted very well. I'll be taking the Aria V to rehearsal this weekend, so we shall see how it works out at higher volumes.

Comment

Soooo, Please tell us Zeegler, how did it sound?

Comment

they caught my interest a while but i never got around to buying some.
                I had heard all good things about them
                maybe it is time to place a order
                If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by maxboost
                  Soooo, Please tell us Zeegler, how did it sound?
                  Actually very nice. I normally use my Xaviere XV500 for rehearsal. It's a mahogany bodied guitar with a Duncan Custom in it. I'm not sure what wood the Aria is, but it sounds a little brighter. Other than that, the tone is very similar to the Xaviere. I guess the only way I'll be able to tell how close the pickups really are, is to A/B them in the same guitar. Maybe I'll do that next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler
                    Actually very nice. I normally use my Xaviere XV500 for rehearsal. It's a mahogany bodied guitar with a Duncan Custom in it. I'm not sure what wood the Aria is, but it sounds a little brighter. Other than that, the tone is very similar to the Xaviere. I guess the only way I'll be able to tell how close the pickups really are, is to A/B them in the same guitar. Maybe I'll do that next weekend.
                    so overall the GFS is very close to the duncan custom?
                    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

A friend of mine got a set of the Crunchy PAFs and said they were total, unadulterated shit. I was really disappointed, because I wanted to try one...but I respect his opinion.

Oh well!

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Zeegler,
                        Is the Xaviere guitar from GuitarFetish too? WHat's it like?
                        Thanks,

Comment

I've wanted to give their clone of a SD Hotrails bridge pickup a try.

Comment

Working...
                          X