warped head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warped head

I have a Shecter Strategy set-neck with an angled back pointy head.(from the 80's i guess) The head is warped with the end of the head curved forward and the bottom twisted forward a bit. I'm guessing its maple.

Anyone know how to straighten it??

Thanks in advance

First, you'd have to strip all the finish off. You'd need to devise some kind of fixture that would allow you to clamp the headstock back into it's proper shape. You could possibly then steam it with a clothing steamer, clamp it up, and hope for the best. Just a thought. You may run the risk of warping the neck somewhere else by doing this, so if the rest of the neck is OK and it plays well, you may be better off to just live with it.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks for the reply mm. The neck is straight so its just a cosmetic thing that bothers me about it. I need to refinish it anyway-its got a horrible candy ORANGe blotchy, orange peel finish! but i didn't want to take it down to the wood but i guess i might as well.
      I've seen heads warp before but on a MIM fender strat and bass

Comment

I have a Gibson LP from 1978 that I have noticed a similar problem. When I bought it new in '78 I don't recall it have a problem. But over the years I have now noticed a little twist where the headstock turns a little down towards the low E string. I had to compensate a little with the truss rod and string height but overall it really hasn't affected the play-a-bility. It still plays good and I don't have any string buzz. I would say if you compensate for it just right you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck with it!
        Guitars:
        Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
        1988 Model 2,
        Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
        RR3
        Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
        2005 SG Special

Comment

If it was me, and gonna take it back to bare wood, I'd sand the front/back to level, and glue veneer front and back to get the thickness back up.

just me though. Lotta different approaches to this

Comment

warped

Excellent idea Postal. i didn't think of that.

Comment

Didn't Sully have to fix a guitar with a warped neck once? His advice would be helpful I would think.

chuck
              "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

sorry, double post
                "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Working...
                X