Broken head repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken head repair

I just received a neck off ebay. It's a Westone pointy I scored for my current project. I looks good.....except the top corner on the head got snapped off during shipment, right across the low E tuner.

It's a clean break tho. I think I can get a good gluejoint on the edge and back but the front, where the paint is, is not so great. Some paint is missing.

My question is, can I just glue it back together with glue or should it have a dowel put in? And whats a good glue to use?

I'll have to refin it prolly tho. I'll try and get some pics if my camera will work right.

I would route a channel in both pieces and put a biscuit in there and glue it back together.Carpenters wood glue will work just fine.Strip off the old paint fill any spaces with super glue sand and repaint headstock.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

when repairing breaks, we usually use epoxy (30 minute, don't get the 5 min stuff, it sets too quickly!) -- you might be fine without a dowel (have not seen the break so would not want to steer you wrong..) ---after you have let the epoxy cure for about 24hrs -- strip, sand and repaint -- you should be good.

Comment

I have had good luck with Elmers carpenters wood glue.
        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I like to use Titebond. You may want to check the other post about broken headstock repair:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58118

Rather interesting work.
          Last edited by Racerx2k; 08-05-2006, 08:07 PM.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

I could have heard wrong, but +1 to the Elmers wood glue. I've had it demonstrated to me that a good wood glue joint is actually stronger than the bond of the wood itself, ie produce a good glue joint, and it will break in every place except the joint itself.
            www.myspace.com/madeaband
            www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Properly clamped, Titebond will solve the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X