Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fretboard inlays

One more question:
    These mirror inlays (on fretboards), do they not get scratced over time (as strings vibrate and rub against them) and look scratchy?
    I'm trying to order a custom guitar, so, I'm trying to find out about different issues.
    Any feedback will be appreciated.
    cheers

I've been wondering that as well.

Comment

Jackson uses very thick fretwire, and I'm not really noticing the strings rubbing on any of the inlays I have (MOP and whatnot - no mirror). I did have a bass that had string winding impressions in the inlays, but that was either from years of heavy playing on one note or someone had a bass capo on it
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Seems to me it's best not to go for mirros just in case
        thanks

Comment

I have an Ibanez RG2570E with brown mirror inlays.
          http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/zoom/RG2570EVSL.jpg
          I don't see any scratching on mine. The mirror inlays were the sole reason I bought this guitar...very cool. On the Ibanez, when viewed in person, they have a "3D" effect, as the inlays are like 1/8" thick and the mirror surface is at the bottom, so the inlays have a 3 dimensional flavor of depth to them, very cool!

Comment

No problem with mine either. I've played it pretty normally with no sign of this type of wear. But then I don't tend to bottom out (due to touch/style/string thickness). If you do, then you may want to reconsider the mirrors.

One thing I HAVE noticed is you can, in places, feel a slight "glass edge". I haven't been hurt or cut - mine were done by one of the best (see below) - but if someone who doesn't have quite the care does 'em....well, I'd be careful.

Some of my "pre-owned" guitars have the grinding on the wood fretboards, so I use those if I'm in grindy mood.

Newc and all the other beasts on the JCForum would KILL me if I did that to the 10-string Warrior!
            Where the heck are we going and what's this hand-basket thing we're riding in?????

Comment

Working...
            X