Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sort of neck?

Hi guys,
    Besides the obvious, what's the difference between 3 piece neck with scarf joint and 3 piece without scarf?
    Any one is more durable than the other? Any one more prone to being bent down the line? or are they both strong enough?
    and in terms of tone difference?
    regards
    and this is mine check it out
    http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...hi/mysetup.jpg

I don't like scarf joints. It's another break in the most critical part of the guitar for tone - the neck. I'll take a 3 piece solid neck through any day.

My ESP project has a solid three piece and it has a great tone. It looks like you Kelly in a sense (they are both naked LOL!)

Comment

Scarf jointing is a woodworking technique, and is not only used in guitars. However, here is a page over at Warmoth that explains what a scarf joint is, as used in guitar necks:
      http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...seaction=13deg

Edit: If you look at the pics that Don put up, you'll see that his doesn't have a scarfjoint up by the headstock.
      Last edited by Sunbane; 07-21-2006, 08:38 AM.

Comment

I spoke with a guy on that yesterday - he was a luthier.

His opinion was that it is better to get a scarf joint because of the wood grain running in the wrong direction with a one piece neck.

However, I ordered a custom Jackson with no scarf joint in the neck and I have no problems. Sustain and tone are unbelievable but that may or may not have anything to do with the scarf joint. You never know.
        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

thanks guys.
          I need to think about this it seems.
          Nice pics Don. Guitar lookin good.
          cheers
          Last edited by ilbianconero; 07-21-2006, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ilbianconero
            Nice pics Don. Guitar lookin good.
            cheers
            Thanks.

Like shedmonster's axe, this one with the three pieces and no scarf has great tone and sustain. I think it also helps that it has "aged" for 17 years without a finish over it.

To "point out" some other great necks, Les Paul's from the classic 1950's never had a scarf joint. I understand why you do it to strengthen the headstock (lot's of busted LP headstocks).

I'm not opposed to scarf joints, but I prefer without rather than with.

Comment

Working...
            X