HI-Z vs. EMG Actives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HI-Z vs. EMG Actives

I thought about upgrading my pickups from passive to active and my local retailer said they're over-sensitive. Is he talking a load of crap? Possibly, he then tried to sell me his 2nd hand hand Ibanez - gross!
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

over-sensative... :ROTF:
    They're hotter than most passive pickups, but it's all subjective.
    -Rick

Comment

i was thinking actives would be better in tonal quality response - better mid range etc. just as you would with active recording monitors as opposed to passive speakers through a power amp. this complete twunt was saying you pick up or cause vibrations from the other strings too easily. hmm.. i wondered why he calls himself zero and even has that name tattooed on his arm - is that in case he has an identity crisis? :ROTF:
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi
        this complete twunt was saying you pick up or cause vibrations from the other strings too easily.
        Isn't that the point of guitar pickups to pick up vibrations from every string on the guitar? :headscratch:
        I'd say he's full of bull.

You will not necessarilly get better midrange from actives - it depends on how the pickup/preamp is voiced. The idea behind them, is to use a very low-powered pickup to avoid magnetic string pull and excessive noise, and then to boost and shape the output with an internal preamp.

Active EMGs have a specific sound that you may or may not like - it's a taste thing. I prefer passives these days. What I can say about EMGs though, is that they pick up a lot less background noise than conventional pickups.

Comment

I have a Model 2 that I just replaced the pickup in. I went from the stock Jackson pickup to a Dimarzio Super Distortion. But even though it was a vast improvement over the stock, I still wanted more!!! I then put in an EMG 81 and WOW, made my day. It's got mids and highs like never before. It also seems more balanced overall. I can't say enough about it. And thanks to Dave at "Frets on the Net" for making me a new pickup ring that fits the EMG like a glove, the guitar LOOKS awesome too.

Try the EMG, you might like it. Especially if your into "highest gain possible" like me!

PS: I haven't had any trouble with feedback either. And that includes playing while sitting in front of a TV. Quiet as can be!
          Guitars:
          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
          1988 Model 2,
          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
          RR3
          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
          2005 SG Special

Comment

Actives aren't for everybody. let your ears be the judge.

Comment

Working...
            X