Fretboard Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard Wood

I am getting a guitar with a Swamp Ash body and a Bolt-On Maple Neck.

I have my choice of Ebony or Maple for the fretboard.

After doing some research the Tom Anderson site says Maple is tight because it controls the bass (rather than cutting the bass out) but that it also controls the highs. They said therefore an Ebony or Poa Ferro board would have more sparkle on the high notes.

Any ideas guys?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

That makes sense. Whether we care or not, the whole bunch of wood does make a difference. Maple is softer than ebony and rosewood. DUH!!! The softer wood would absorb the vibes while the harder woods would let the strings sing. Hell, even the grain in the neck and headstock makes a difference. But, then you turn it up to "11" and who cares. I would go with ebony, but that costs much more if it's the real deal.
    Last edited by fett; 07-19-2006, 03:37 PM.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I'd go maple board. I think ebony might be a little too bright and possibly brittle sounding. My Carvin SC90 is swamp ash, maple neck-thru and maple board, and I think it's great. It is a little on the bright side, but it's got great tone.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd go with maple. To me, the tone of the guitar is probably least influenced by that little 1/4" slab of wood (fretboard), as compared to the neck and body wood, electronics, etc. But......maple just looks and feels RIGHT!
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

i say maple, since you are going with an Ash body.

ebony if it was an alder body.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel
            i say maple, since you are going with an Ash body.

ebony if it was an alder body.
            +1 Couldn't have said it better.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I say you f**k the tone question altogether, and go with the fretboard you prefer to feel & see. IMHO, those things will have a much bigger impact on your happiness with a particular guitar - esp. a custom spec'd one! - than a small tone difference that amounts to hearing a mouse fart.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon
                I say you f**k the tone question altogether, and go with the fretboard you prefer to feel & see. IMHO, those things will have a much bigger impact on your happiness with a particular guitar - esp. a custom spec'd one! - than a small tone difference that amounts to hearing a mouse fart.
                I'm glad somebody said this, because really this is where I'm at too.

tone schmone, I have one of each, maple, ebony and RW and I cannot tell the difference for the life of me.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Believe it or not, there's some people that can tell the difference in tone of fingerboard wood. You think Eric Johnson is crazy because he can tell the difference in tone with Duracell batteries in his effect pedals than other kinds?
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                    Believe it or not, there's some people that can tell the difference in tone of fingerboard wood. You think Eric Johnson is crazy because he can tell the difference in tone with Duracell batteries in his effect pedals than other kinds?
                    Since I can not, that doesn't bother me I'd go with ebony, it looks and feels the best...

If you care for your tone for your own likes then if you can hear the difference that small piece of wood makes, go with the one you think sounds the best. If you care for your tone for the listener, than %99.99 of the listeners won't feel that...

So if you don't hear any difference, everything is fine! Go with the one you think feels and looks the best
                    Check my bands!
                    www.myspace.com/magicktr
                    www.myspace.com/sinif64
                    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

So if you don't hear any difference, everything is fine! Go with the one you think feels and looks the best
                      Yeah you are right. I already have 2 guitars that have Maple Boards.
                      So I think I am going to go with Ebony.

I am going to try and get a Tree of Life Inlay and on Ebony it would look killer.

I have done a LOT of research and among guitar players who are into this kind of thing Ebony supposedly has better highs than Maple due to the fact that it is a harder wood. Shur and Tom Anderson forums and other forums.

It will be interesting to see how the highs are when I get it but I am convinced it will sound good - but won't make any difference to a listener. But hey - they will like the inlay!
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Ebony does have a better amount of presence transfer...I do not think it makes the notes sound 'thin'.
                        Rosewood sounds the warmest and maple has usually been considered a brighter sounding board than rosewood..but it seems to vary in maple depending on whether it is finished or not.

Comment

This discussion is exactly what holds me from placing an order at Carvin. Their wood options drive me nuts. First I cannot translate the options to sound. Secondly I cannot make up my mind. Otherwise I think their
                          c-66, 127 and Holdsworth models are really kwel.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon
                            How loud is a mouse fart? I'm trying to desern between streaked ebony and plain black ebony. I need a tone of reference. I have to get my ear real close:ROTF:
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                            X