Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would my KV2 sound with an EMG85 in the bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would my KV2 sound with an EMG85 in the bridge?

Hi, my KV2 currently has an 81 in the bridge position at 18 volts. What I like about this pickup is that its very clear and has good attack but in my KV2 it lacks bass and low end response. Power chords sound too thin and lack punch, I just cant dig it, and I've tried to like it.

This is where the 85 kicks in, I have that pickup in the bridge slot of my Performer series jackson PS-2 (alder bolt-on superstrat) and I love the way it sounds wired for 9 volts. I hear great crunchy and tight bass and a really mean midrange growl plus its perfectly suited for lead playing.

Now, my KV2 is neck thru and acousticaly darker sounding than my PS-2, and the King V is wired for 18 volts so I'm completely lost.

Someone familiar with this setup or close to it?

thanks

If you have quick connects, you should be done with this by now.

If not, break out the soldering iron. The only way to find out is to try it.

Comment

I would've thought a KV2 with neck-thru maple w. alder wings would be accoustically brighter than a maple neck bolted to alder body?

Anyhow, I agree with Don. Take the soldering iron out and go for it!

Comment

remove the 18v config and put it back to 9 volts. at 18v it might have too much clarity for your tastes. causing it to sound "thin" to you.

try that first if it still isn't cuttin the mustard switch it out with the 85.

18v will make it sound thinner, but cut through better, and have more clarity. jgcable's triple clip adapter works well for testing out the difference between 9 and 18v setups without the permenant mod.

just take 3 battery clips and solder red to black (series) between each clip. then take one clip and hook it to the batt clip of the emg wiring, then hook 2 batts to the open 2 clips of the adapter.

play for a bit at 18v then pop it back out and put 1 batt back in. then you can tell the difference and see if its for you.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
          I would've thought a KV2 with neck-thru maple w. alder wings would be accoustically brighter than a maple neck bolted to alder body?
          Yeah, me too, but that's definately not what I'm hearing. The bolt on is much brighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel
            remove the 18v config and put it back to 9 volts. at 18v it might have too much clarity for your tastes. causing it to sound "thin" to you.

try that first if it still isn't cuttin the mustard switch it out with the 85.

18v will make it sound thinner, but cut through better, and have more clarity. jgcable's triple clip adapter works well for testing out the difference between 9 and 18v setups without the permenant mod.

just take 3 battery clips and solder red to black (series) between each clip. then take one clip and hook it to the batt clip of the emg wiring, then hook 2 batts to the open 2 clips of the adapter.

play for a bit at 18v then pop it back out and put 1 batt back in. then you can tell the difference and see if its for you.
            That sounds interesting, I might take it to a tech to have that done. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
            X